2006 Chevrolet Malibu Power steering

DALTON420
  • 2006 CHEVROLET MALIBU
When I'm driving the power steering locks and the wheel gets hard and can't turn, so I stop and turn the car off for a few sec. Problem solved but the thing is that it's starting to do it a lot more, on the radio display comes up power steering, is their something I can fix like a fuse, or a part, or do u just have to buy the whole rack and pinion. Please help. Thank u.
Wednesday, February 19th, 2014 AT 7:02 AM

Please read this it may still be covered under warranty if electronic steering which I think your car is.
Some customers of 2005-2006 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6 vehicles, and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6; and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with electric power steering may experience a loss of power steering assist caused by electrical input signals within the steering column assembly. If the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the Driver Information Center will display a "Power Steering" warning message. On some vehicles, the Service Vehicle Soon light will also illuminate. The vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped.
SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
On 2005 & 2006 model year vehicles, dealers are to replace the steering column. On 2008 model year vehicles, dealers are to replace the power steering motor control module. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after July 21, 2010 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to July 21, 2010 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
Wednesday, February 19th, 2014 AT 9:42 AM
DALTON420
Can I take it in, even if im not the first owner I bouht the car in pensalvenia but Live in Texas, herd u can just change the Torque sensor ensted of the whole wheel colum?
Wednesday, February 19th, 2014 AT 10:02 AM
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. This is like a recall get it fixed correctly at no charge to you.
Wednesday, February 19th, 2014 AT 10:04 AM