Steering issue

JSLIGH34
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Very hard to turn steering wheel when not stepping on gas. Turns normal when stepping on gas, whether in park or driving. When turning wheel, it makes a "shhh" noise, or like an air sound. That's the best I can describe it. Also, sound comes from each of the front tire areas, rather then the pump. Dealership changed power steering pump and it made no difference. One place says bad pump and one place says bad rack and pinion (but there's no loose turning/slipping) PLEASE HELP ME.
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 8:42 PM

SATURNTECH9
It does sounds like it could be the rack but I have seen where the steering wheel angle sensor goes out and causes the same thing. To test the pump you need a flow test

Here is the location, its not to easy to replace but it fixed the last car we had in the shop.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
+6
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 8:46 PM
JSLIGH34
Can the pressure and flow test be performed by myself, or will I have to take it to a mechanic?

Also, how long does it normally take to have the rack changed?

I appreciate your response(s)
+2
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 8:51 PM
SATURNTECH9
If the dealership told you that replacing the pump would fix your steering problem then I would take it back there and make them fix it for no additional charge. Changing a rack and pinon takes different amounts of time depending on your rack set up.
+3
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 9:00 PM
JSLIGH34
Ok. So my best bet would be to take it and have the pressure and flow test done. Then, if all is well in that aspect, to have them check out the rack and pinion?

Also, could there be a lose hose or something that's possibly disconnected from the rack? There's no leak or anything.
+4
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 9:07 PM
SATURNTECH9
The flow pressure test will see if the pump is good and if its good and the sensor is good you have a bad rack
+3
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 10:42 PM
JSLIGH34
Ok I will take this all into consideration and see what happens. Thanks a lot for everything.
+1
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 11:01 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome thats what were here for.
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 11:07 PM
JSLIGH34
Had it raised and checked out. They said there's a leak in the rack and actually showed me. However, they didn't specify what on the rack was causing the leak, they just showed me the fluid. So I had the rack replaced and it fixed the problem it cost $900.00 but at least the car is working again
+1
Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 6:53 AM
SATURNTECH9
Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers
Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 3:26 PM