2006 Chevrolet Impala Air control recirculation issues

JOHN HO10
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
When air control is selected to blow heated air to floor, most of the air blows from dash vents and vise versa.
When defrost is selected, most of the air (appx. 85%) blows from dash vents and very little air volume blows on windshield. I am forced to adjust selector to obtain quasi-acceptable defrost results. A real safety issue!
Additionally, there is a several (5-7) second delay when changing between air control selections. Previously, it was almost instantaneous.
What to check? Blend door actuator? Are there more than one? Electric or vacuum? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Wednesday, November 12th, 2014 AT 6:08 AM

An actuator for blend door and mode, there could be a couple. First try puling hvac fuse for 60 seconds with key on then reinstalling. That may reset them and they will work or you'll have to see if the actuator is getting power or not. See pic it's on passenger side
Wednesday, November 12th, 2014 AT 6:37 AM
JOHN HO10
Reinstall HVAC fuse with key "on" or "off"? Thanks.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2014 AT 8:14 AM
I assumed you would leave the key on when you did it as you would start the car after puling fuse.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2014 AT 9:37 AM
JOHN HO10
Still somewhat confused. Is this the correct procedure;
1. Start car
2. Pull HVAC fuse.
3. Wait 60 seconds, leave car running
4. Reinstall fuse
5. Test controls to determine if reset occurred.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2014 AT 10:20 AM
Yes just like you have posted. Then if it still doesn't go to floor then have it scanned as the control head may not be sending to it.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2014 AT 12:05 PM
JOHN HO10
I cannot find a fuse labeled: "HVAC" in the schematic diagram of the fuse box.
Is it the Blower Motor Control Processor? BATT 4 Fuse 30A?
Or is it labeled something else?
Wednesday, November 12th, 2014 AT 1:44 PM
It's the air bag/display fuse under hood fuse box.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2014 AT 3:13 PM
JOHN HO10
WOW! It worked! Thank you so much!

In the pic you provided, is that view passenger side under dash looking directly through the glove compartment void and towards the middle of dash?

Although the process worked which resulted in re-calibration and now, when air control is set at floor, the fan blows on floor instead of thru the dash as well. YEA!

However there is still a noticeable pause, about 5 seconds when air control is changed from one setting to another. When the car was newer, I didn't notice this delay.

Could it be that the actuator (in the pic) is getting weak or is that "normal"?

Your thoughts?
Thanks, again
Thursday, November 13th, 2014 AT 7:36 AM
Heck battery for condition including load test auto parts do for free and if blet and tensioner have more than 60k on them replace them as that is recommended replacement. However it may not cure the delay problem as it does have to move doors etc. Try cleaning battery terminals and see if that makes a difference as well. Also you may have to reset security if battery disconnected.
Thursday, November 13th, 2014 AT 9:32 AM