Overheating and battery not holdig a charge

ROVITO78
  • 2005 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA
I have two questions:

1. I have a 2005 VW Jetta Gli 1.8 turbo, it is overheating but not all the time. No sure what the concern is or where to start to see what the concern is?
2. Also we have replaced the battery in the vehicle twice within three months. The first one we bought found to have a dead cell. Well the replacement battery is not holding a charge either. The vehicle is ran/driven only about 1-3 times a week. But with a new battery should not have a concern. Tested the alternator and had standard voltage. What else could pull such a large draw to kill the battery? Or what could be the issue of why not holding a charge?

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 4:57 PM

As far as the overheating, check the thermostat, make sure coolant level is full, and make sure the radiator isn't corroded inside.

As for the alt / att, check to see if there is a draw on the battery. There are directions on our homepage under the DIY section. If there is a draw, remove one fuse at a time to locate which circuit is causing the draw and check it.
Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 6:17 PM