Fast Idle - 2005 Corolla

AILA
  • 2005 TOYOTA COROLLA
2005 Corolla LE (67K miles) - Automatic - High idle RPM (2000-2200) when started in cold. Noticed these during winters only. Is this a problem?
Saturday, January 8th, 2011 AT 3:37 PM

KHLOW2008
Nope, this is what the engine is designed to do. When starting from cold, the engine cold start system kicks in anfd the colder the weather the higher thhe cold start rpm would be. It should lower within a few minutes.
Saturday, January 8th, 2011 AT 4:00 PM
AILA
Thanks, that sounds good. There are lot of posts about fast idling and that made me fearful. Just to add, when I start in morning, it starts at 2000 RPM, within 5 seconds drops to around 1800 RPM and then within another 5-10 seconds jumps to 2200-2300 RPM and stays there for a while. I usually shut it down or put in gear when it reaches 2300 (kind of fearful on what's happening). Once I drive for a while it is good then. Is this normal?
Another note, is it necessary to idle engine before driving during winters even for newer cars?
Saturday, January 8th, 2011 AT 4:51 PM
KHLOW2008
When idling speed drops, it should not be going back up. That would indicate the IAC is not working as efficiently as it should. Get IAC and throttle body cleaned and retest if probem goes away.

For any engine, whether new or old, it is good to allow at least one minute of running without load to ensure lubrication has been throughly distributed before starting to drive. This would reduce wear on engine internal components and ensure the engine last longer.
+1
Saturday, January 8th, 2011 AT 5:06 PM