LOST SOME TRANSMISSION FLUID ON MY 2005 V6 3.5 SATURN VUE,

• dennisgwagner
  • 2005 Saturn Vue
  • automatic

I was changing out the radiator on my 2005 saturn vue 3.5 v-6 and lost some transmission fluid what kind of fluid and I think there is a fill hole on the top of the transmission, will it have a dip stick there also thank you

Friday, May 25th, 2012 AT 12:51 PM

• fixitmr

On the driver side of the vehicle, on the top of the transmission, there's a plastic yellow thing with a picture of a gear with liquid in it (indicating transmission fluid), that's your transmission dipstick. The only other yellow plastic piece that you can see is your oil dipstick. The tranny dipstick is bolted down with a 12 mm bolt that you'll have to remove. After removal of the bolt, just pull the dipstick straight out to check fluid level. The dipstick may be a bit harder to pull out than you imagine, but as long as you took that bolt off, it'll come out.
The transmission that's in your Saturn was not intended to be checked by the owner. The theory is that you'll check your fluid when it's not up to temp, think its low, and add more, overfilling your transmission. However, I think most owners would prefer having a more easily accessible dipstick. Even if it's only to check the color of your tranny fluid. You should also make sure that the fluid doesn't have a burnt odor.

Friday, May 25th, 2012 AT 4:02 PM
  • dennisgwagner

I found a plug on the top of the transmission with atf on the plug but I still can not find a dipstick I know the transmission is low. So I just dont want to add some. This is not a all wheel drive just front wheel drive thanks dennis

Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 10:57 PM
  • dennisgwagner

How do I know what kind of transmission is in my 2005 saturn vue with 3.5 thanks

Saturday, June 2nd, 2012 AT 2:59 PM
  • saturntech9

Just to add to this one I posted the location of the fill hole and the dipstick. It uses atf-z1 fluid.

+1
Saturday, June 2nd, 2012 AT 4:40 PM