2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Overheating and Leak

AARON1212
  • 2005 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
My 2006 Pontiac grand prix was starting to overheat so I went and filled it with 50/50 Coolant/Antifreeze. After doing so I got about 10 mins down the road before the temperature rose incredibly fast and was as hot as possible. I got a hot coolant alert and another saying the AC was disabled. I stopped and after waiting 30 mins put 2 Liters of cold water in the coolant tank while running the engine with the heat on. A steady stream of what looked like coolant and water started coming from under the car on the side with the coolant tank. I was able to get home but within 10 mins the engine temp was back up on the edge of the red. After 20 mins of being home there is a small puddle of green/clear liquid that seems to be leaking from under the coolant tank. What advise would you give in proceeding from here?
Friday, July 3rd, 2015 AT 7:51 PM

First, list the engine size and mileage. I don't know which side the reservoir is on so you're going to have to tell me that. Next, you or someone else is going to have to look for the source of the leak. The good news is while the overheating could have resulted in a leaking cylinder head gasket, it sounds like you caught it soon enough and you only have to worry about a much less serious external leak.

Has the coolant ever been changed? Knowing the mileage will help with forming a generalization as to how much acid may have built up in it. That will lead to corroded heater cores and radiators. If the heater core is leaking, you'll find the coolant leaking from a 4" long rubber hose with a 90 degree bend hanging down from the passenger side of the firewall under the hood. The puddle will form just to the left of the right front tire.
Friday, July 3rd, 2015 AT 8:02 PM
AARON1212
Hi, it's a 3.8L V6 engine and has just over 104000 miles. The coolant was last changed around 2 years ago. The puddle is forming right where you said it was, to the left of the right front tire.
Friday, July 3rd, 2015 AT 8:09 PM
Dandy. I don't know if you can see that hose from the top. You might have to crawl underneath to see it.

The coolant needs to be replaced every two years because that's about how long the additives in it last. Those include water pump lubricant and corrosion inhibitors. Besides that drain hose, there's going to be two heater hoses in the same area but up higher. Check those for wetness. Also look around the top of the engine on the passenger side to see if there's a black plastic fitting that's leaking.
Friday, July 3rd, 2015 AT 8:18 PM