HI I OWN A KIA SORENTO 2005 3.5L V6 MANUAL. I AM GOING BROKE WITH AN ELECTRIC PROBLEM,

• guilpul
  • 2005 Kia Sorento

I bought this car and did not check it! So don't know when this problem start. It is burning the ignition coils, trying to identify the problem the garage has change about 8 times the ignition coils, a new battery has been fitted, 2 times they have change the complete set of spark plugs, the two position sensors, the drive bell and all its tensors have been replaced.
The high tension cables and the the cables from the Ecu to the coils have been replaces too. Now they are telling me that the ECU is also to be replaced! Please I need your help? Should I change the ECU as well? Mind you it is very expensive over here.

Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 AT 1:47 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

When first starting a car (key in start position)a full 12 volts goes to the ignition system to help start a cold engine. When you release the key to the run position, the voltage drops so the system last longer. Have them check to see if there is a drop in voltage.

Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 AT 1:51 AM
  • guilpul

Could a faulty ECU really make the ignition coils burn?

Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 AT 1:54 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

If it doesn't lower the voltage.

Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 AT 1:58 AM
  • mindfxas

Hello, I had the same problem, so yes, most cases coils are burning if ecu has a problem, coil has 3 contacts, red wire +12, middle wire-earth, 3rd wire is signal from ecu, if signal incorrect, that will burn the coil, remove the ecu from KIA sorento, it is under passanger footwell, determine which control(i mean 3rd wire to the coil)contact goes to ecu from coil that burns, then find control contacts from last two coils, check the resistance to earth(there is three coils in this KIA, probably you will find out, remove the ecu, take off the main board from there, now you know which 3 pins goes to coils as a control pins, check resistance to earth of each pin, you probably will see that resistance of that pin to earth, which goes to burning coil, will differ from others, if that so write me to xuiniavisokia@gmail. Com, I will give instructions what to do next, I repaired : ) : ) regards from LITHUANIA

Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 AT 3:16 PM