2005 Kia Sorento breaks.

PAPAPETE
  • 2005 KIA SORENTO
I blew a rear brake line on the right rear just by the rear passenger door. Will it drain the master cylinder and cause the front brakes to fail also or will I still have front brakes enough to make it to the shop or should I get it towed in.
Wednesday, June 12th, 2013 AT 11:17 PM

It will empty the reservoir but there will still be fluid in the other half that doesn't have the leak.

You're most likely already missing one front brake. Most cars available in front-wheel-drive versions use a "split-diagonal" brake hydraulic system. The right rear and left front are on the same system. With a leak that system can't build any pressure so the left front won't be applying either. They do that so when this happens you will never be totally without a front brake.

The alignment geometry is modified to offset a brake pull when just one front brake is working. Only Chrysler has it set precisely so you may not even realize there's a problem except for the warning light. On other brands typically all you'll see is slight wiggle in the steering wheel when you push the brake pedal.

You should be able to drive the vehicle carefully to the repair shop. Even when you run the reservoir empty there will still be fluid in half of the master cylinder.
-1
Thursday, June 13th, 2013 AT 12:16 AM
KVN4
Tow it.
Thursday, June 13th, 2013 AT 12:17 AM
WRENCHTECH
I would recommend towing it also. The amount of braking you will have left will be very dangerous.
-1
Thursday, June 13th, 2013 AT 2:52 AM