AIRBAG LIGHT

2005 Kia Sedona

cep62061

Airbag light has come on in my 2005 Sedona. Actually has been on for quite some time, anyway, that has prohibited it from passing safety inspection. Was told it could be a sensor needs to be replaced. Diagnosis would cost $95, and replacement of said sensor might be around $250 to $300 dollars. Car has 73xxxx miles. It had another sensor issue a while back, having to do with ignition. Had that replaced. How common is it for all these sensors to start going out at this point in the car's life? Could it be something less expensive than a sensor replacement?

Wrenchtech

Unless you have already had the stored codes read an analyzed, anything could be wrong with it. That's where you need to start with getting the codes read. That will require a professional scan tool, not just a generic code reader.

cep62061

So taking my car to like Autozone to use their code reader would not help?

Wrenchtech

No, not with airbag codes. That requires more technical software.

cep62061

Arrgh. I appreciate your help though. Is it common for repair shops to charge that much money just to diagnosis and read the codes?

Wrenchtech

Well, if you consider they pay in excess of $10,000 for the equipment to do that and will have to spend time testing circuits to determine the cause. Yes it is common.