Strange noise

ENG. ELIE SAADEH
  • 2005 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
I've a 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD. Often when I want to accelerate from speed 0 or when I'm running at very low speed I hear a noise, may be from the rear differential box, as if it is engaging again from Neutral point. This happens usually at very low speeds.
Best regards.
Elie
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 3:51 PM

DR. HAGERTY
We at 2CarPros get asked quite often to identify noises or strange sounds. The possibility that we can deliver the correct answer is directly dependent on the experiences and knowledge we possess. It is also a matter of the descriptive terms used by the posting party. We all here want to give an answer that could be helpful, the facts you have stated could be normal operation, just the slack being taken up in the normal course of loading torque into the drivetrain. If you have the ability to either get under the car or have this task be performed by your Jeep service provider, there could be something that this inspection could bring to the disscussion, without further information, we can only go so far.
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 4:13 PM
ENG. ELIE SAADEH
Thanks for your reply. I'll let my Jeep service provider make the inspection of the U connection at the end of the rear differential box.
Best regards.
Elie
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 7:04 PM
ENG. ELIE SAADEH
Further to my question and to your reply, I've let my Jeep service provider make the inspection of the U connection at the end of the rear differential box. It appears that the sound comes from the inside of the differential box due to a clearance between toothed wheels observed in most Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs, SUVs, as a manufacturing defect from the Jeep manufacturer. The differential box needs to be replaced.
Waiting your reply.
Best regards.
Saturday, January 29th, 2011 AT 5:53 PM
ENG. ELIE SAADEH
Further to my question and to your reply, I've let my Jeep service provider make the inspection of the U connection at the end of the rear differential box. It appears that the sound comes from the inside of the differential box due to a clearance between toothed wheels observed in most Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs, as a manufacturing defect from the Jeep manufacturer. The differential box needs to be replaced. Waiting your reply.
Best regards.
Saturday, January 29th, 2011 AT 5:54 PM
DR. HAGERTY
A known manufacturing defect might be covered under their warranty. Is there an offer to repair it for free, or are you on the hook for it? If it is on your nickel, you might want to consider doing some due diligence around it before commiting to anything.
Saturday, January 29th, 2011 AT 6:43 PM
ENG. ELIE SAADEH
May I have found the answer in what Jeep says in their catalog about:
Torque Converter Clutch
A featured designed to improve fuel economy is included in all automatic transmissions. A clutch within the torque converter engages automatically at a calibrated speed at light throttle. It engages at higher speeds under heavier acceleration. This may result in a slightly different feeling or response during normal operation in high gear. When the vehicle speed drops below a calibrated speed, or during acceleration, the clutch automatically and smoothly disengages. The feature is operational in Overdrive and in Drive.
NOTE: The torque converter clutch will not engage until the transmission fluid and engine coolant are warm [usually after 1-3 miles (1.6 4.8 km) if driving]. Because the engine speed is higher when the torque converter clutch is not engaged, it may seems as if the transmission is not shifting into Overdrive when cold. This is normal. Manually shifting between 3 (third gear) and 4 (fourth gear) positions (using the ERS shift control) will demonstrate that the transmission is able to shift into and out of Overdrive.
NOTE: If the vehicle has not been driven in several days, the first few seconds of operation after shifting the transmission into gear may seem sluggish. This is due to the fluid partially draining from the torque converter into the transmission. This condition is normal and will not cause damage to the transmission. The torque converter will refill within five seconds of shifting from Park into any other gear position.
Please inform me if it is the answer to my previous question about a strange behavior of the rear differential and if it is related to the rear differential sound.
Best regards.
Sunday, January 30th, 2011 AT 8:03 PM
DR. HAGERTY
Not to be disinterested, but can we count on you for a donation?
-1
Monday, January 31st, 2011 AT 1:40 AM