SERVICE CENTRE CHECKED THE COILS BUT NO JERKING IN THE RUNNING OF CAR, WHAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM?

2005 Honda City

Mandy11783

April, 25, 2012 AT 2:43 PM

Sir,
My car was giving jerks while running and I sent my car to the service centre, they said the A Coils in the Engine are not fine and need to be replaced, I got them checked with another mechanic he advised to get only the Spark Plugs changed, I did that and the car stopped jerking. I went to the service centre again to tell them that their advise was wrong, they checked the car again and again said that the the A Coils are still not fine and the spark circuit is short. Is this possible that the A Coils are not sending current to the engine still there are no jerks while running at lower or higher speeds.
Please advise as I am really confused at this moment, a fast answer would help me a lot as I dont want to get into any long-run problem with my engine.

Thanks a lot.

Cj7

fixitmr

April, 25, 2012 AT 4:14 PM

If it's running fine and no CEL is on with misfire codes I would think things are ok at this time. I'm not sure what you mean by avoiding long term problems?

fixitmr

April, 25, 2012 AT 4:55 PM

Oh maybe I misunderstood. Long trip problem is what you meant? They always say, better safe than sorry? Costly little buggers arn't they. How many do they want to replace?

fixitmr

April, 25, 2012 AT 6:23 PM

Ok I checked on your yr/engine and what you have is a dual spark system which means 2 plugs/coils per cylinder. That's why the A rating to a coil as in A-B i'm assuming.

fixitmr

April, 25, 2012 AT 6:54 PM

Here's the explanation of you system design of 2 spark plugs. http://www.honda.co.nz/technology/engine/idsi/

Mandy11783

April, 27, 2012 AT 8:06 AM

I have understood about the engine details and thanks for sending them. But the question remains the same place. What would happen if there is a Short Circuit in A Coils of the Engine, will it still work without any issues or bumps or will start showing some signs while running and what are the long-term issues with this problem.

fixitmr

April, 28, 2012 AT 3:42 AM

I'm not sure what they mean by short circuit? In the coil itself (all 4 A?)Or in the signal/circuitry? What was their recommendation for a fix?

fixitmr

April, 28, 2012 AT 3:45 AM

And apparently the car runs with either 2 sparks or 1 and it should not harm anything to do so. It's almost like having a built in backup. The reason they use 2 is for increased economy.

Ignition Coil Replacement Ford Taurus
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Ignition System Test Guide