2005 Ford F-250 Coolant Leak

DAVIDATRIBBLE
  • 2005 FORD F-250
I just bought a 2005 ford f250 6.0 diesal and its leaking a little antifreeze. It also overflows on the reservouir tank cap when I give it alot of gas. The leak I beleive is middle ways to the right of the engine.
Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 8:18 AM

FIXITMR
Is there a separate radiator cap or is the reservoir the cap? Is the engine leak from a seam? Might be a bad head gasket! So you didn't notice these things when you bought it?
-1
Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 9:16 AM
BOATBUDDY
6.0 are known for bad head gaskets, bad egr coolers, and bad oil coolers. Check the compression to see if its bad on that head. Also do a pressure test on the cooling system. Do you notice a lack of power when accelerating or crusing?
-1
Monday, December 20th, 2010 AT 4:10 AM
DAVIDATRIBBLE
There's only a reservoir cap that I know of. Im not real sure where its leaking from on the engine. It looks like its leaking on the driver side towards the back/ middle ways. Im thinkin its leaking on the egr but im not sure exactly where the egr is. It don't seem to have lost power that I can tell but it has been get a few miles less per gallon.
-1
Monday, December 20th, 2010 AT 4:51 AM
MHPAUTOS
First thing to do is get a cooling system pressure test done, this will help locate the external coolant leak, repair this leak first and report back any change with the over all problems.

-1
Monday, December 20th, 2010 AT 7:00 AM
BOATBUDDY
Egr cooler will be located on the passenger side of the engine, on top of the head. It looks like a 'square' tube.
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 AT 4:38 PM
FIXITMR
Could have leaky pressure cap on bottle? Is the bottle coolant level correct to allow for coolant expansion short of overflowing? Can you see air bubbling in bottle? This would indicate possible head gasket compression air leak into coolant system.
+1
Thursday, December 23rd, 2010 AT 8:10 PM
BOATBUDDY
What happens is the oil cooler will stop functioning correctly and will cause the egr cooler to over heat, thus making the engine get extremely hot and causing you to buy a new oil cooler, egr cooler and head gaskets
Monday, May 23rd, 2011 AT 7:53 PM
FIXITMR
Is it all fixed yet?
Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 11:30 PM