KEEPS DYING

2005 Ford Expedition

BigGuns

June, 30, 2011 AT 10:17 PM

I have a 2005 Ford Expedition 2WD 5.4L. Every once in awhile my wife or I will be driving and there will be no responce from the gas pedal. I have taken it in several times and it will run for a few weeks and then it does it again. Also, the check engine light is almost always on.

Wrenchtech

June, 30, 2011 AT 10:31 PM

The "check engine" light is an indicator for a system that monitors many electronic functions in the system, also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and can lead to further component or engine damage and some are emissions related not as serious but still a problem and need to be repaired.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will give you specific information about what the computer saw and will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone or Advanced auto parts in your area, they will read them for free. Once you have these code numbers, we can be a lot more specific about what your problem may be.

BigGuns

July, 1, 2011 AT 3:23 PM

I will have to check when I get home, but I have had this problem for awhile. I brought it into Ford 3 times already and they turn the Light off but it seems like they only fix the problem temporarily every time. Each time they fix something else, but it is always the same symptoms. I will get the previous codes and post them if I can.

Wrenchtech

July, 1, 2011 AT 8:33 PM

We don't need the previous codes. We need the current codes.