2005 FORD ESCAPE TROUBLE CODE P-0353

• jc88
  • 2005 Ford Escape

My escape has been missing for about a week with no codes showing until after it up and died on me today, it started again just fine but the miss was way worse and the OBD was throwing code P0353 which indicates a malfunction on cyl. 3 so I replaced coil and plugs and reset the code, but still same problem. CEL came back on immediately. It has that crumby coil on plug design so I got 6 individual coils. Wiring problem? How would I test to see if the harness that connects to the coil is bad? Could a PCV leak be the cause? Or is it the dreaded PCM? Pls help me im stumped and strapped for cash, thanks for any and all advise

PS: im not a mechanic but I feel I know enough to get by, so if you can simplify any suggestions i'd greatly appreciate it

Sunday, July 21st, 2013 AT 10:25 PM

• hmac300

These codes shold be checked by a pro due to the many things that can cause it. Check for vacuum leak, compression fuel pressure, and broken hoses to air ducts/ maf it really should be scanned by a pro to see what is out of whack as you aren't going to know the correct voltages to everything they will

Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 7:38 AM
  • jc88

If you had to take a guess tho would you say electrical or mechanical? Id like to try an fix it myself b4 taking it to a dealer

Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 8:31 AM
  • jc88

Oh and compression is fine forgot to say I checked it

Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 8:35 AM
  • hmac300

You can take it to any repair shop not only a dealer, they are just as good if not better and are cheaper and easier to deal with. However there is a tsb on this very thing which requires replacing all 6 coil on plugs if this vehicle was built prior to 10/3/2005 but it has to be a 3.0L engine and the pcm will need to be replaced along with reprogramming. It also needs an oscilloscope to check for this so it's not something you can do. I don't know if there is an end date to this if your vehicle is effected if it was built after the production date then just take it to a regular shop. The production date should be on the drivers door or post.

Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 9:36 AM
  • jc88

Ok. Well thanks man ima get it looked at 2moro ill let u know the outcome

Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 8:02 AM
  • jc88

So it turns out the computer was fried. Spark plugs were the factory plugs, 1 went bad and fried the coil as well as computer driver for that coil. Replaced and is fixed

Sunday, July 28th, 2013 AT 7:55 AM