2005 Ford Escape think, bad gas.

ZIMM1950
  • 2005 FORD ESCAPE
Think go bad gas on trip and engine light came on when car was bucking a lot. Enough that I was worried to get off freeway, thinking car would stall. When go down to 3/4 tank on trip(trying to get home) filled with high test gas and 1 can of octane additive (all I could get). At 1/4 tank, stopped and did same again, did run better, almost perfect.
Got home and got engine code reads. Misfire on #4. I replaced plug and dry gas added. Runs good, except when going uphill, low RPM (1500) or so. Will start to skip unless I downshift or it does it automatically. Have replaced fuel filter also. Thinking plug coils next. This is a V6, so very hard to replace back 3 plugs. Luckily, #4 is in the front. Thinking #4 coil next thing to do. Any other thoughts. Not lazy, just old and on fixed income, trying to do cheapest way. Thanks
Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 AT 8:12 AM

WRENCHTECH
Coils are very common causes of misfire on those.
Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 AT 8:52 AM