Truck overheats when driving

FIREST911
  • 2005 DODGE TRUCK
When driving the truck will overheat, when idleing the truck cools off, seems the higher the RPMs the quicker it gets hot?
Thursday, September 15th, 2011 AT 9:27 PM

PROMECHANIC
The first thing to do is check your coolant level, both in the radiator and in the reservoir. If it is low then you need to find where it is leaking.
You might have a fan clutch that is not working. If you turn it by hand with the engine off there should be a good amount of resistance. Also, you can look at the weep holes on the back of the clutch if they have been leaking that would indicate a possible faulty clutch.
You might have a faulty thermostat. It might be a good idea to just change it if it hasn't been done in a while.
Be sure to check the serpentine belt as well. If it is slipping then it could cause this too.
Thursday, September 15th, 2011 AT 9:42 PM
FIREST911
I changed the coolant, had oringial coolant in it I cant remember ever putting any in it in years. Fan is hard to turn with engine off, no leaks in back of fan area, no leaks at all.
Seen others on web with issue and they have changed radiators, how do I know if it needs to be replaced/not having good flow thru it?
Thursday, September 15th, 2011 AT 10:04 PM
PROMECHANIC
There actually aren't many good ways to tell. Most of the time the problem is something other than the radiator. Some of the things to check for are.
The condition of the coolant. If it has junk in it or if the wrong type was used it might cause this.
What the radiator looks like inside. When you look in the neck of the radiator you can usually see some of the tubes in the radiator. If they look like they have buildup on them, then that is an indication that they might be getting plugged.
If you replace the thermostat and it is still overheating then you should check out the radiator, but I would replace the thermostat first.
You also need to have a good look at your fan shroud. If it is broken it can cause this type of problem. Also check the grill and make sure nothing is stuck to it and it isn't clogged. Be sure the radiator is not clogged with bugs too.
Thursday, September 15th, 2011 AT 10:14 PM
FIREST911
Cool thanks
+1
Thursday, September 15th, 2011 AT 10:19 PM
PROMECHANIC
You are welcome. Good luck with your problem.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 10:00 PM