I WAS DRIVING IN TO WORK TODAY AND ABOUT 45 ...

2005 Dodge Stratus

newbij

November, 19, 2012 AT 12:23 AM

I was driving in to work today, and about 4-5 miles before I got here. I noticed a very loud rattle. As the RPM's went up the rattle sped up, as well got louder. If I took my foot off the gas and coasted it would almost go away. Where should I start looking? How much should I be expecting this to cost? I've read through quite a few posts here and seem to think it could either be the harmonic balancer, or the timing belt. Either of which won't be to easy to get looked at, and fixed. I appreciate any help you give me! God Bless!

Harmonic Balancer

November, 19, 2012 AT 12:26 AM

Forget about the guesses. It is engine related and we have only your word without hearing it. You need a trained ear to listen and point you in the right direction. Did you check the oil?

newbij

November, 19, 2012 AT 1:07 AM

Yes, the oil level was good. Also, give me about 20 minutes and I'll post a link on here to a video of the noise on youtube. Thanks for the quick response!

newbij

November, 19, 2012 AT 3:04 AM

Here's a link to the video of the sound. Sorry it took so long but for some odd reason it took forever to upload from my phone. Thanks again for any help!

November, 19, 2012 AT 3:06 AM

Internal engine knock. Not good. I would not drive it till it is fixed.

newbij

November, 19, 2012 AT 3:09 AM

It sounds like it's coming from inside the timing chain cover area. So any pointers on where/what to look for/at? Going to have it towed home once I get off. =/

November, 19, 2012 AT 3:10 AM

Not until it is dis assembled.

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide
Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML