2005 Dodge Ram no start

STANLEY76
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
When I was driving home my headlights started dimming and some of my dash lights were flashing, now I have no power on the solenoid wire when I turn my ignition. There is 12 volts on the starter wire. Ive replaced the starter relay and checked all fuses. When I turn the ignition I have power going to the pcm from the relay but nothing going to the starter solenoid. I have a brand new battery and starter.
Saturday, February 28th, 2015 AT 12:59 PM

Forget the starter. That has nothing to do once the engine is running. The dimming headlights and confused computers / warning lights are the classic symptoms of a failed charging system. Charge the battery at a slow rate for an hour, then once the engine is running, measure the battery voltage with a digital voltmeter. You must find between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. If it is low, suspect the alternator, but there are a couple of quick tests to verify that before you spend money on unneeded parts.

You said there's no voltage on the starter's solenoid wire, but you didn't say when. Are you expecting it to be there when the ignition switch is in the "run" position?
Saturday, February 28th, 2015 AT 1:07 PM
STANLEY76
When the ignition is in start position I do not see any voltage on the selonoid wire. The battery is fully charged
Saturday, February 28th, 2015 AT 1:11 PM
Measure the battery voltage with everything turned off and holler back with that number. Have you checked for blown fuses? They often blow when connecting a battery due to the current surges of the many computer memory circuits charging up.
Saturday, February 28th, 2015 AT 1:27 PM
STANLEY76
I've checked all fuses. Battery is 12.39. The starter doesn't eve click like there's a low battery
Saturday, February 28th, 2015 AT 1:31 PM
The battery is not fully-charged. A fully-charged battery will measure 12.6 volts. A good, totally dead battery will measure 12.2 volts. Measure yours again with the head lights turned on. I'm leaning toward the voltage dropping down when the ignition switch is turned on, to the point the computer won't turn on the starter relay.
Saturday, February 28th, 2015 AT 1:50 PM