POSSIBLE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM?? 2005 DODGE NEON ...

2005 Dodge Neon

jan24700

November, 18, 2012 AT 9:27 PM

Possible electrical problem? 2005 Dodge Neon SXT, 2.0 16valve, 5speed, When it reaches 2300 rpms its as if the transmission has "kicked out". If you drop your speed to below 2300 rpms and step on the clutch it re-engages. I "think" it's some type of sensor, sometimes you can just go like hell and then when you've been on the road a little bit and the engine warms up and you are over 2300rpms, it will kick out again. Very frustrating on interstate highways because you can't go over 62mph/2300rpms. HELP! We have had to a couple of mechanics & no luck, I dont know what all they have tried but, whatever they did it didn't work. One guy had our car for about 8weeks and still didn't fix it.

November, 18, 2012 AT 10:21 PM

Is the clutch slipping?

jan24700

November, 19, 2012 AT 12:01 AM

No that is not it, have had a car w/ that problem. It's something else, seems like its a switch or sensor of some kind. Runs ok while it's cold. After 15-20 mins it will start in w/ the losing acceleration. (If you go over 2300 rpms). If u stay under 2300rpms you can go all day w/ no issues.

If it helps to know this, it has also been hard to start. It will turn over & just keep on cranking, you have to pump the accelerator as if you are driving car with carborator instead of fuel inj.

Weird huh?

November, 19, 2012 AT 12:03 AM

Check fuel pressure first. Check the back pressure from the cat converter

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars