2005 Dodge Neon overheating

TRENTEM
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
I have a problem with overheating. After filling system with coolant, I can drive my normal routine for 7 to14 days before it starts to get hot. At first the temperature gauge stays at first mark[ about a quarter of gauge]. After a few days it slowly rises to middle, a few days later to three quarter, then I have to add more coolant. Water pump is new, timing belt is new, timing is ok, thermostat is new, radiator cap is new. I did a cooling system pressure check, [pumped up to 15lbs, waited 30 min, went down half lbs, pumped back up to 15lbs, waited 30 min, held pressure] and a block check[The liquid remained blue indicating no combustion gases in system] I replaced the temperature sensor because someone told me to, no change. I can see no visible leaks. The cooling fans appear to be coming on when they should. The check engine light does come on, and the code I get is po441. I think this is happening because the temp. Is not reaching normal operating temp. For fist few days of driving. At any rate, this has become very frustrating, I need help
Monday, September 22nd, 2014 AT 10:17 AM

KHLOW2008
If you need to add coolant, it means there is a leak somewhere. How much coolant is depleted each time it starts to overheat?
When overheating occurs, does topping up the coolant eliminate it, at least until the next time level drops?
Monday, September 22nd, 2014 AT 10:34 AM
TRENTEM
When I have to add, I am adding approx. Half gallon or slightly less.
I was thinking that the coolant is going out the overflow. The reservoir has a higher level [ at the point of running over] when I go to add coolant. I have to syphon some out when I add coolant
When I add coolant the temp. Goes down to the quarter mark again.
The temp. Does not go up to the normal operating temp.[Half mark] for several days. I thought normally the temp. Would rise to half way and stay there [even on first trip] This is part of what is puzzling me.
Monday, September 22nd, 2014 AT 1:37 PM
KHLOW2008
If coolant is going out the overflow tank, it means there is excessive pressure in system. Possible causes are :
1. Radiator cap or coolant is leaking along the passage from radiator to tank.
2. There is a minute head gasket problem.

You have covered the above so it really is puzzling why it is occurring.

You mentioned siphoning out coolant, is it the same amount as you add in?

Is the temperature reading accurate or is it a faulty gauge and engine is not really overheating but reading indicates otherwise?
Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 AT 8:54 AM
TRENTEM
It appears the amount I am adding is close to the amount I am syphoning, although I am sure some is lost out the overflow on the tank.
The gauge- I am not sure
It is overheating, I can hear the gurgling in the tank when this happens
+1
Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 AT 11:46 AM
KHLOW2008
If the amount you siphon out is almost equivalent to what you replace, it is not a problem of coolant losses that is causing the overheating. Some coolant would come out of the overflow if the coolant is overfilled.

Is the cooling fan speed what it should be or slower than normal?
Is the air being blown by the cooling fan very hot?
Has the radiator been checked for clogging?
When the temperature increases, is there any differences when idling or driving?
Sunday, September 28th, 2014 AT 2:22 AM
TRENTEM
The cooling fan appears to be operating properly
The air it blows is hot
I took the radiator off and backflushed it, It was flowing good and there was no trash in the backflush
the cooling fan [one] comes on when gauge goes above half mark.
I did another block check [ liquid stayed blue, indicating no problem]
Saturday, October 4th, 2014 AT 2:52 PM
KHLOW2008
Hot air from the fans indicates coolant is flowing normally and the timing for the fan to come on seems to be correct as well.
When the fan comes on, does it stop working after a while and then come back on again? When the temp reading is above normal, does the fan keep running without stopping?
Monday, October 6th, 2014 AT 8:55 AM