2005 Chrysler Town and Country Front brakes issue

MSTMORGAN1101
  • 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
I'm having a mechanic change the front brakes on my car and now that he has changed the brakes the tires won't spin. It's like the tires are locked, he took tires off and the wheels spun but won't spin with the tires on. What could be causing this to happen?
Wednesday, July 10th, 2013 AT 1:29 AM

Look inside the wheels for signs of something scratching them. If you see that, the calipers aren't fully seated. One end can lift up and rub on the inside of the wheel.

Also be sure to always run a flat file over the piston and the two outer fingers on the caliper that contact the pad backing plates. Rust or other debris can prevent the pads from sitting flush, and that can move the caliper outward toward the wheel.
Wednesday, July 10th, 2013 AT 2:10 AM
GRAPHICGIRL222
I had this happen to me one time. After I left the brake place, my car (wheels) made a horrible noise. I called and they said it should be fine, bring it by the next day. The person that reassembled my wheels when the brakes had been replaced, tightened something Way Too Much. I am sorry, I do not remember exactly what it was, but from what I remember, it had to do with replacing the wheel, and not necessarily the brakes. The "helper", that put the wheels on, had been told that when they are put back on, while jacked up, it should spin 1 and 1/2 rotations, when you put your hand on it and spin it. Mine did not spin 1/2 turn, much less 1 and 1/2. Is the person that did the work on your brakes a real mechanic, one that is qualified to do this type work? When you said they took the tire off and it spin freely, that made me wonder.
Good Luck.
Monday, July 29th, 2013 AT 8:44 AM
I think either something got lost in translation or I'm not understanding what you're saying correctly. Car owners do not speak the same language as mechanics do, and mechanics generally have poor communication skills when talking with customers. Doctors can be the same way. A mechanic can say three words to another mechanic who will immediately know volumes about that car but it would take volumes to explain the same thing to car owner.

There is nothing that can be over-tightened to cause a wheel to rub or bind. Something has to be assembled incorrectly. As proof, many do-it-yourselfers over-tighten the wheel lug nuts all the time. That will damage the threads on the nuts and studs but that damage will not be known until the next person tries to remove the nuts. That's when a lot of mechanics get blamed unfairly for that damage when they try to get the nuts off months or years later. Even with those over-tightened nuts nothing was rubbing or making noise.

The next problem is every car that gets an alignment or a brake service MUST get a test-drive after the work is done, and time permitting should have a test-drive to verify any complaints before the work is started. The mechanic will break in the new brake linings, check for any vibrations, and listen for any unusual noises. There are some things that car owners should be told when they get new brake linings as far as how to drive the car during the next 100 miles or so, but to have "a horrible noise" suggests something was done wrong, no one test drove the car, and instead of inspecting their work they're hoping you're hearing a minor noise that will go away.

Thanks for adding your experience, but this is going to be a case of something overlooked or reassembled incorrectly. If over-tightening something was the cause, we would hear about it all the time.
-1
Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 AT 9:26 PM