My engine light is on says it's the thermostat regulator

CPIKE
  • 2005 CHRYSLER PACIFICA
I have a 2005 chrysler pacifica has 60,000 km on new engine we just put in it. The engine went at 120,000 km we are not sure as to why. The day before the engine went the I could here fans kicking shortly after driving. After we installed the new engine the upper rad hose collapsed the mechanic purchased a new rad hose and rad cap and that solved the problem. I have only had the new engine in for a week or so and today the engine light came back on?
When the mechanic hook up the car it read thermostat regulator? Could this be what occured in the other engine?
Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 3:50 AM

What is the exact code did it gave you?
Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 3:58 AM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
It is hard to say. You may have an air bubble in the system. Try to fill the system with the heat on all the way hot, the engine running and the radiator cap off. Allow it to reach operating temperature and top it off. Replace cap and drive it some. Let it cool off and re-check level. Look for evidence of foam as this is a sign of air in the system. If the sensor is from the other car it could be the same issue. The codes should have been cleared, if your mechanic cleard the codes. If the battery was removed generally codes will clear but he should have cleared them with the reader and if it was fom other engine it will not return.
Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 3:59 AM
CPIKE
Thank you for your response, I will have to check with my mechanic the exact code. I know it is not the sensor from the original engine. I drove the car for about a week on the new engine before the engine light came on. The mechanic also checked for and air lock?
It's a bit of a worry after I have done alot of research on the 2005 and seem to see alot of people with this problem.
Thanks again
Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 5:32 AM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
If it is a, "swap" problem. Sometime you can run a jumper that will give you a short morse code by flashing the CEL lamp. However I think it has to be a Pre-OBDII which is up the 1995. It would allow you to at least turn it off and then hold it in another switch that is momentary to get the short code. But I am assuming your OBDII since it is a 2005. Don't know if there is a way to do it on OBDII, but if it is a code that is a problem in the elctronics, there is usually a fix that will stop the code like using the sensor out of the other engine that might be the reason for the code. If the sensor you have in now just happens to be outside the voltage window of the ECU whether there is a problem or not it will throw the light even if everything is okay. The sensor that is meant for the voltage window that goes with the other motor might fix the issue if you get the sensor from that motor. You might try an enthuisasts forum to see because that is the best place to find fixes for swap issues.
Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 12:38 AM
CPIKE
We turned off the engine light and it came back on about two weeks later the code it is reading is 128 Coolant thermostat regulating below temperature? Any ideas?
Saturday, January 28th, 2012 AT 9:05 PM
Test the thermostat and the coolant temperature sensor-
Saturday, January 28th, 2012 AT 10:56 PM