HEATER BLOWING COLD AIR

2005 Chevrolet Uplander

dummkopf352

My sister's car. Antifreeze looks decent, blower motor works, but no heat. Problem may have developed suddenly or over 2.3 weeks gradually, not sure. Acts like plugged heater core or valve in coolant line not opening. Are heater hoses easy to touch, to feel temperature? If so, where? Anything else to be checked? Is valve electric or vacuum actuated? My sister has bad arthritis and must rely on others.

No Heat

Wrenchtech

With the engine at full operating temp, locate the 2 heater hoses where they go into the firewall and feel them to see if they are both hot to the touch. If not too hot to hold, then you have to look at the actual engine temp and if that is up, if it is, then your looking at a restricted heater core.
If you find that they are both too hot to hold, then the heat in that vehicle is controlled by a blend door that regulates heated air flow. It is operated by an electric motor/actuator. The problem can be that the actuator is stripped or inoperative or the door itself could be damaged. This is what needs to be determined by examining the actuator and see if it is responding to heat change commands or not.
If they are both not too hot to hold on to, then you either have a restricted heater core or the system is not completely full and getting air pockets for some reason.

dummkopf352

Thanks, very helpful. Hoses near firewall feel about same temp as upper radiator hose. Owners pamphlet says one fuse block (of 2) is on passenger side under instrument panel. Cannot find looking under glove compartment. Ditto on RH side above accel pedal. Is the "instrument panel" something other than the dashboard?

Wrenchtech

No, instrument panel and dash are the same thing. It sounds like you're having a problem with the blend door operation.

surfcity

February, 16, 2011 AT 7:55 PM

The 1st fuse box is on the very end of the passenger side instrument panel, you have to fully open the door to get at it. The 2nd is under the hood on the passneger side in the black bos that has the jumper peg sticking out.

dummkopf352

February, 17, 2011 AT 8:08 PM

Thanks. The 1st sounds like the way Generous Motors located a fusebox on my Chev 2002 Silverado 2500HD (except maybe for right vs left). Appreciate your help!

Wrenchtech

March, 11, 2011 AT 4:34 PM

Closing out question

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro