P 0410 error code

SIRJR
  • 2005 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
I have a P 0410 error code on my vehicle. I need help regarding what to replace; the secondary air injection pump or secondary air injection solenoid valve. Or could it be a relay? Any help in directing me to additional diagnostics, or pat replacement will be appreciated. Thank you.
Thursday, March 1st, 2012 AT 1:28 AM

BMRFIXIT
1st check the related fuses. If have a scan tool use it to turn the air pump on. The air pump and air pump relay are located on the driver side frame rail just bellow the drivers door. If that bi-directional communication is not available on your scan tool you can ground the brown wire on the air pump relay and turn the key on. This should turn the pump on if the relay is working the wiring to it is intact and the pump is in working order.

Now that the air pump is running open the air solenoid. You should hear a difference in the sound of the pump. Another way to verify it is opening is to unhook the fresh air pipe from the air cleaner assembly and feel for a vacuum when the solenoid is commanded on. If the valve is not opening try tapping on it when you command it open. If your scan tool does not support this option you can jump the relay in the under hood fuse box. However before removing the valve verify that you have power and ground when you are commanding the air solenoid open.

You may find that the supply pipe from the air pump to the valve is full of water. If this is the case make sure you blow out the lines before replacing any parts
+2
Thursday, March 1st, 2012 AT 2:10 AM
BMRFIXIT
Also incase all checked ok

Repeat SES Light due to a P0410 DTC - Possible O2 Sensor

Models: 2004-2005 Buick Rainier

2004-2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

2004-2005 GMC Envoy

2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

2005 Saab 9-7x

with 4.2L Engine (VIN S - RPO LL8)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Currently, the SI diagnostics do not mention the position 1 O2 sensor as a potential cause of a P0410 DTC.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of a P0410 DTC, there is no sign of dirt or water in the AIR pump or relay, and proper AIR check valve operation is noted, replace the position 1 O2 sensor.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
-1
Thursday, March 1st, 2012 AT 2:16 AM
SIRJR
Thank you for all the information. I do not know if my scan tool is sophisticated enough for bi-directional communication; however, you gave me enough additional trouble shooting to pursue. I do have additional information for you that may help: when I started the vehicle this morning, there was a higher pitch sound eminating form the engine compartment. The sound was similar to when you put you hand over the end of a vacuum cleaner hose and increase the load on the vacuum motor. I was able to feel the pump running for approximately 20 - 30 seconds then it stopped. Is this functioning correctly or should it have run longer? Thanks, Steve
+1
Thursday, March 1st, 2012 AT 12:58 PM
BMRFIXIT
Its about right
check the hose if full of water (drain )
tap on the valve (check if stuck)
Thursday, March 1st, 2012 AT 11:16 PM
SIRJR
I replaced the solenoid check valve, cleared the P0410 code. Vehicle was running fine until today when the check engine light came on again. I scanned and a P0128 code came up which I found out means " coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature". Does this mean the thermostat has to be replaced? The vehicle runs fine, the dashbord temerature gauge reads its normal temperature. Thank you.
Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 1:35 AM
BMRFIXIT
Check coolant if low add as needed and check for leaks
if not suspect bad thermostat
Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 3:15 PM
SIRJR
Thank you for your reply. The coolant level is unchanged and there are no leaks. I do not understand how the vehicle could have a bad thermostat if the temperature gauge is reading normal. I only know that a thermostat works or doesn't work. Can newer thermostats work at less than 100% function? Thank you, Steve
Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 AT 3:32 PM
BMRFIXIT
PCM monitor engine temperature on start up a lazy thermostat would take longer for the engine to reach operating temp setting a code
Wednesday, March 14th, 2012 AT 12:10 AM
SIRJR
Thank you for explaining this to me. I did not know something like this would be monitored. Steve
Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 12:17 PM
BMRFIXIT
ANY TIME
Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 7:49 PM