2005 Chevy Silverado 4X4

MITCHELL1983
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Chevy 4 wheel drive makes a popping noise
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 4:40 AM

DR LOOT
Check your u-joints on your front drive line, it's usually the one on the transfer case
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 4:46 AM
MITCHELL1983
I checked them and they all feel snug how would I know if they where bad
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 4:50 AM
MITCHELL1983
I took out my front axels on both sides and they looked fine as well no big metal chuncks came out of the diff just some small metal shavings on the drain plug
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 4:56 AM
DR LOOT
Boy you did a lot of work, did you try driving the truck without the front driveline in? Did you put the axles back in? It sounds like an axle problem to me, is the noise worse when you are turning? Or do you just hear it all the time going down the road?
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 5:14 AM
MITCHELL1983
Its bad when I turn and bad driving straight when I loose grip and give it gas thats when it starts making the popping noise. I did not try driving the truck with out the front drive line but in two wheel drive it dosent make the noise. I put the axel's back in and there was no wear on the teeth.
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 5:18 AM
DR LOOT
CV axles can be deceiving, try raising the truck and hold the wheel with one hand and the axle with the other and see if you have any play forward and backwards and also in and out, raised up the front on Jack stands and the rear on Jack stands put it in four-wheel drive and be very careful while the tires are moving and see if you can hear the noise.
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 5:33 AM
MITCHELL1983
I raised the front and back on jack stands and still can hear the noise it is just as bad. The cv axels have a little play in and out but not much. And no play forward or backwards.
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 5:39 AM
MITCHELL1983
I even replaced a hub bearing in the process on the passenger side put in a new 4 wheel drive actuator.
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 5:44 AM
DR LOOT
If you heard the noise when you had it up on Jack stands, where was the noise coming from? Is that why you pulled the front axles? It sounds like front axles to me, but I may be wrong. Unless it's the differential? Did you check that while it was off the ground?
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 5:52 AM
MITCHELL1983
It sounded like the axels but they looked fine and thats why I pulled them. I didednt take the differential apart not sure how to and worried about it falling apart and not being able to put it back togeather. I drained the fluid and I think if the ring and pinion where bad bigger piecies of metal would of came out but it was only fine shavings on the drain plug. I think I am going to replace the u-joint they are cheap and easy and one less thing to ellimanate if it still makes the noise after replacing them.
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 7:13 AM
DR LOOT
Ok, sorry I couldn't help much, its hard to fix things when you can see, you did not hear, ect.
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 2:57 PM