Please help me and my car

CEHAYNES
  • 2005 CHEVROLET IMPALA
My 2005 chevy impala was misting really bad, the motor was shaking and it wasn't picking up any speed. I took it to autozone to get it scanned. They told me that it read several misfire, but couldn't identify where the problem was coming from directly. On my way home it cut off several time and then stopped and wouldn't crank anymore. Can you tell me want the problem is?
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 2:21 AM

FACTORYJACK
It wouldn't crank anymore? Does it seem as though you have adequate battery power, and when the key is rolled to start, does it sound like the starter is engaging the flywheel? The no crank is peculiar symptom after misfires, and if your voltage is adequate, I would see if the engine turns manually. This may be far out to start, but if you had a coolant leak from say the intake, and it become severe enough on the inside, liquid would go into the intake port, and the corresponding cylinder. What would happen would be misfire initially, as the coolant is not combustible. If enough non combustible liquid entered the cylinder, the result would be a hydraulic lock, as fluid don't compress. This would result in the engine not cranking. Whichever is easiest out of the two choices I will give, either turning the engine manually with the crankshaft balancer bolt, or remove all 6 spark plugs, and try cranking, observing if any cylinder expells water. This is based on the fact that you have adequate battery voltage. If your battery is dead after the stall, you have a potential charge system problem instead. Is the engine size correct, a 3.4 liter?
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 4:28 AM
CEHAYNES
Yes the engine size is correct. I'm hoping it not the catalytic converter. Would that cause the car not to start?
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 7:04 AM
CEHAYNES
Oh yeah and it turns over, but doesn't seem to be getting any connection to start. Could a faulty spark plug wire cause all the plugs to go out?
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 7:08 AM
Ya Know, I bet gstacey's eyes are are "misting" also!

I've seen gstacey in action before!

During diagnosis, he throws out questions. The question asker ---"ACTUALLY"--- performs a check or test and returns with an answer. Not 2 more questions?

I can sorta relate that sorta questioning, to us maybe asking if your neighbor's car is roadworthy, think he will take you to work?

This is 2car. And that would be a solution!

Most of the time, the requested info, is sorta thrown out there, in an order or sequence, as to QUICKLY and EFFICIENTLY figure out what is wrong.

Assumptions, and bouncing from one possibility to another, generally has you spending $$$ on unnecessary parts and labor, not too mention prolonged down time!

I do not know if he was about to get there, but is your check engine light on? Have you had your codes read. This can be performed at many popular auto parts stores.

If you'll just say "how do you do this, etc", many of us here, can possibly explain or link you to something that might aid you!

Sorry gstacey, for butting in, I'll just kick back now, and watch. And see if the testing and looking get done!

The Medic
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 2:31 PM
FACTORYJACK
When you first stated 'wouldn't crank', I started thinking of the possibilities that would cause stall and no crank(i.E. Hydrolock, no charge). Often times the common misconception lies between the words 'start, crank, and turn over'. Yes this could be a catalytic converter, that would cause sporadic cylinder misfires, low power, and in severe state a 'crank, no start'. Best DIY isolation, remove the oxygen sensor 'before' the catalyst, start and run the vehicle, and re-evaluate the symptoms.
Saturday, July 9th, 2011 AT 4:21 PM