Car will not start intermittently

DWK5023
  • 2005 CHEVROLET IMPALA
My 05' Chevy Impala Base 3.4L will not start sometimes. Usually when the engine is hot. I took it to get an oil change yesterday and the car would not start. The battery was replaced two days ago so that could be ruled out. Plugs were done a few weeks ago. They checked to see if the fuel pump was kicking on and it was. The engine was cranking and seemed as though it was about to fire up and it would just die. The mechanic held down the throttle when I turned the key and it would run until he let off the throttle and it would just shut down. It really had him confused as to what it was. I've read alot of people have been having this problem. Could it be a gasket that is leaking air or something or maybe something to do with the compression? I sat there for about an hour of trying and then tried it again and it fired right up. Talk about craziness.I think once the engine cools it's fine. Also once it is started it never dies, even when it is idling. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 7:23 PM

FIXITMR
It cranks but dont start? What if you hold pedal down little/lot? Have you tried that?
+1
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 8:22 PM
DWK5023
Well that was what the mechanic was doing with the throttle.I tried it with the pedal too. It will go as long as I have the pedal down a little/lot, but as soon as I let up on it it will shut down.
+1
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 8:26 PM
FIXITMR
It almost sounds as if you have an intermittent vacuum leak like egr or iac?
Saturday, February 26th, 2011 AT 12:39 AM
FIXITMR
I should have added IAC not opening at all, it's suppose to "leak" air past throttle plate.
Saturday, February 26th, 2011 AT 12:42 AM
DWK5023
I will have that checked out.I appreciate your responses. Is this a normal occurrence on a vehicle with as many miles as mine? How pricey do you think it will be to have fixed? Thanks again fixitmr!

OUTSIDE USER: Same thing happened to me. It was fuel pressure regulator. When I took out air filter the whole box was full of gas. Changed regulator and fixed it.
Monday, February 28th, 2011 AT 3:01 PM
FIXITMR
That's about the right mileage for problems to appear. Anywhere between 150k/200k. Also when it happens next, try unpluging your MAF sensor to see if it will start. Might want to check your TPS too.
Monday, February 28th, 2011 AT 11:05 PM
DWK5023
Hey, I am going to go buy some CRC/MAF Sensor Cleaner tonight and give it a good cleaning.

Do you think it would be beneficial to replace all the sensors or are some more prone to failing than others?
Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 3:31 PM
FIXITMR
You could also have a leaky injector(s) which is making it harder to start when hot. I'm not 1 to just replace parts unless they test bad.
Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 9:42 PM