2005 Chevrolet Equinox Coolant leak

JESSM1221
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
My 2005 equinox is leaking antifreeze somewhere. I add about an inch of antifreeze to the tank about once a week sometimes more depending on how far I drive it. I recently had all the spark plugs and wires replaced because the engine light indicated a misfire on cylinder 1. It's still throwing that code and I've had the wires and plugs double checked to be sure the gap was right and the wire was on the right spots. The exhaust seems to be a heavy white cloud and it never use to be like that. Someone from work told me the exhaust smells sweet or like antifreeze. Please help. Not sure where to even start to figure out what it is.
Monday, September 30th, 2013 AT 7:11 PM

Loss of coolant and white exhaust smoke are two indicators of a leaking cylinder head gasket. Your mechanic can do a chemical test at the radiator or coolant reservoir to verify that. You can also add a small bottle of dark purple dye to the coolant, then search a few days later with a black light. The dye will show up as a bright yellow stain that you can follow back to the source. If you see the dye inside the tail pipe, a cylinder head gasket is leaking.

GM also has a big problem with non-flow-matched injectors. With higher mileage one or two will run a little lean leading to intermittent misfires. To find that, switch the injector from cylinder # 1 with one of the other ones, erase the fault codes, then see if the misfire code sets for that other cylinder.
-1
Monday, September 30th, 2013 AT 8:46 PM

Sponsored links