Chvey Equinox car noise

EQUINOX-2005
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • AWD
I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox - LT. I have what siounds like intermittent valve noise or the water pump - metal to metal sound. Temp gauge is ok and engine oil was just changed. Any ideas?
Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 4:16 PM

Is there any coolant leaking from the water pump? When do you hear the sound?
Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 4:24 PM
EQUINOX-2005
There is no coolant leaking. The "knock" I hear is as I am driving. No more or less during acceleration. It is intermittent. I will check again today, but I think it was more noticeable as I moved the stearing wheel to the right slightly as I drive (not turning, just a nudge or so then straight again). I am trying to narrow it down.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 9:44 PM
Make sure to check steering components as well as ball joints. Make sure everything is tight.

Let me know what you find.
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 5:40 AM
EQUINOX-2005
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 8:32 PM
EQUINOX-2005
As I drive it sounds like chatter from the steering components. Today while driving 5-10 MPH I heard the chatter again. It increased as I moved the steering from side to side. I was in traffic heading to work. I will to check some of the underside components tonight to see what else it might be.
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 8:35 PM
Is there a change in the noise when you make turns?
Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 3:18 AM
EQUINOX-2005
Yes. I got to get up under there to see. Something is loose. When I go over a pot hole or if I***** the steering wheel left to right rapidly I can hear the chatter. Normal bumbs are OK but if I go over a severely damages or roadway in need of paving the chatter is louder.
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 1:59 PM
What you need to do is safely lift the front of the vehicle and check for play in the ball joints and tierods. Also, make sure the stabalizer links are tight and not worn.

Let me know.
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 12:36 AM
EQUINOX-2005
OK, this is getting frustrating. Removed the front tires, nothing is loose or has major play. Shifted car into gear and had the front wheels rolling. I moved the wheels from left to right without the noise. I even reached in back and grabbed the steering column rod where the u-joint is and tried to move it around to see if there was some play. None. I pushed up and down n the front of the car forcefully and everything was normal. UGH.
Monday, December 20th, 2010 AT 10:42 PM
Since there is a change in the noise when you make a turn, I wonder if it could be a wheel bearing. Does it ever have a grinding or moaning sound?
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 AT 1:35 PM
EQUINOX-2005
No. It is actually not a turn, just a slight motion of the wheel tothe right gets the clacking-chattering louder. When I put the wheel back to straight lessens the chatter.
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 3:45 PM
I would suggest checking the CV joints and all steering components. Something there is loose and not being seen.
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 4:48 PM