STARTING PROBLEMS

• rickysh11
  • 2005 Cadillac CTS
  • automatic

For the past couple of days I have been experiencing some starting problems with my car. At first it seemed to only happen when the car has not been used for several hours when the temperature has dropped, but now it happens every time the engine has been turned off. The problem is that when I try to start the car it sounds as if it were trying to turn over but doesn't. The radio, lights, and the mirrors are also affected. The headlights blink on and off and the radio won't turn on. The interior lights get dim and the mirrors move very slowly. Also there is a clicking noise when turning the key. I thought that maybe its the battery but after it finally starts after 10 or 15 minutes of trying the DIC shows the battery is fine with 14 volts but the time, trip, timer, etc. Is reset. Could this be a battery problem or maybe the starter or alternator problem? FYI- I have had a check engine scan done and the codes that came up are P0430, P0496, U1016, and B0561(which I can't seem to find much info on this particular code, but it shows system disabled, infor stored invalid, serial data, received) would these have anything to do with the no start issue?

Thursday, January 19th, 2012 AT 1:38 AM

• rivermikerat

P0430=Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 2
P0496=Evaporative Emission System Flow During Non-Purge.
U1016=Lost Communication with Engine/Powertrain Control Module
B0561=Not listed
The U1016 might be related to the no start, but from the rest of the description, I doubt it. More likely it's either a faulty battery, starter, or both. The interior lights dimming tells me the starter is drawing more current than the battery can supply. You need to get that fixed first.

Thursday, January 19th, 2012 AT 4:29 AM
  • alexxthegreat

The same thing is happening to my car: I do not know what it is, but someone told me it might be the crankshaft position sensor

Thursday, January 26th, 2012 AT 9:51 PM
  • rivermikerat

Crankshaft position sensor would be highly doubtful. The same codes means I have the same diagnosis.

Thursday, January 26th, 2012 AT 10:00 PM
  • alexxthegreat

I replaced the starter, checked the battery and altenator: All are good: The problem is cranking: It is the next item on my list: The only code I have is for one O2 sensor. It is unlikely it would cause a cranking problem.

Thursday, January 26th, 2012 AT 10:46 PM
  • rivermikerat

By cranking do you mean the engine being turned when the key is turned to the start position, or do you mean the engine starting up and going 'vroom'?

If you mean the engine being turned when the key is turned, check the starter relay in the underhood relay box. I have included an image showing the location of the relay.

Thursday, January 26th, 2012 AT 11:53 PM
  • alexxthegreat

Replaced the starter, starter relay, battery is less than one year old
and I had it checked three times, checked alternator three times. Replaced the plugs and insulators.

The situation is intermittent. It usually happens when the car has been
cranked three or four times within an a one hour period of time. The sound is a clicking sound and no start. Click! Click! Click!
Had new starter checked again also.

Friday, January 27th, 2012 AT 5:15 PM
  • cadieman

This is a battery or connection problem. Load test the battery and check the voltage at the starter.

Friday, January 27th, 2012 AT 8:08 PM
  • rivermikerat

I need to know which 6-cylinder engine you have. 2.8 or 3.6

Friday, January 27th, 2012 AT 8:19 PM
  • alexxthegreat

The engine size is a 3.2 V6: iT IS POSSIBLE IT IS A BATTERY CONNECTION, BUT THERE IS NO CORRISION AND THE CABLES LOOK LIKE THEY ARE IN GOOD SHAPE. THE STARTER IS NEW AND HAS BEEN TESTED.

Friday, January 27th, 2012 AT 9:30 PM
  • rivermikerat

Our reference doesn't show a 3.2-liter for a 2005 Cadillac CTS. The options for a V-6 engine are 2.8-liter and 3.6-liter.

Here is the starting schematic for the 3.6-liter.

Friday, January 27th, 2012 AT 10:46 PM