WHY DOES MY THIS CAR INTERMITTENTLY REFUSE TO START?

2005 Buick Rendezvous

anitaduncan

September, 26, 2012 AT 11:42 PM

It will be totally dead. Then it will start like all is well. Back on April 21, 2012 I asked for advice for this car. Back then it had been completely dead for over a week, would not even jump start, then my son-in-law jumped it, 3 times actually, in a short period. It has been completely fine until a couple of weeks ago. It began to intermittently refuse to start.

Totally dead, nothing. Then it will start like nothing had ever happened. The battery is good, the cables are tight, and I have no money to investigate any further. This is the car my daughter drives to transport three little kids. I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks in advance.

saturntech9

September, 27, 2012 AT 12:08 AM

So when it wont start you have no dash lights etc inside the vechile?

anitaduncan

September, 27, 2012 AT 12:22 AM

Nothing!

saturntech9

September, 27, 2012 AT 12:49 AM

You removed the battery cables from the battery and made sure the cables were clean?You also actually had the battery tested?

anitaduncan

September, 27, 2012 AT 1:05 AM

No to both questions. But the battery cables and posts are clean and tight as can be. Plus the battery is less than 2 years old. After a no-start episode the car will start perfectly, and repeatedly without having to do anything.
Also I forgot to mention, back in time before the initial no starting problem there was another weird happening. Normally the radio will stay on after the engine is shut off. Then when the doors are opened the radio turns off. For a short period of time the radio would not turn off when the driver door was opened. But, it would when any other door was opened. Around the time of the total power black out in April the door/radio issue resolved itself.

saturntech9

September, 27, 2012 AT 2:35 AM

I have had brand new batteries off the shelf be bad so test the battery. Also you say you dont have corroded cables but I have seen them look clean out the outside then take the cables off and find them corroded so lets start there.

anitaduncan

October, 4, 2012 AT 12:57 AM

The car started starting again so I took it to Pep Boys where I bought the battery less than 2 yrs ago. The battery was bad so they credited me $90 toward the new battery. So, for $38 we should be good! Thanks for all your help.

saturntech9

October, 4, 2012 AT 2:54 AM

Your welcone that's what were here for glad to here it was a easy fix.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe