REAR LEFT WHEEL WON'T ROTATE

• mpholtan
  • 2004 Volvo S60
  • automatic

My 2004, Volvo S60 was left outside while on vacation for 3 weeks. The e-brake was not engaged at this time. The rear left wheel will not spin when trying to back out of the driveway. Have tried forward and reversing a few times without release. I jacked up the wheel, and the wheel would move back and forth about an inch when trying to rotate the wheel. I couldn't remove the wheel to investigate further as it is stuck. Any ideas?

Tuesday, June 7th, 2011 AT 12:46 AM

• caradiodoc

The metallic filings in the brake linings are rusted to the brake drum. Unfortunately you're going to have to keep changing directions until it breaks free. Higher speeds will not help, but tugging on it on concrete or asphalt is better than on granite or dirt.

Once it breaks free, expect to hear some grinding for a while when braking. That will go away shortly as the rust wears off.

Tuesday, June 7th, 2011 AT 1:35 AM