Will not Start

RACHELL_EVE@YAHOO.COM
  • 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA

I tried to start my 2004 Toyota Corolla two days ago and it wouldn't start. I assumed the battery was dead, tried to get a jump and it still wouldn't start. The interior lights weren't coming on or anything. I checked the fuse box under the hood and saw that the ALT fuse number 100A was blown. I replaced it, the interior lights started working and the car still won't start. I bought a new battery also and that did not help. When I turn the ignition key the car makes no noise or attempt to start. Also when I turn the car to try and start it all of the gauges move. The RPM will go up to 8000, then down to 4000 then to zero. At the same time the spedometer will go up to 50mph then to zero. After those gauges go to zero the temp gauge and the gas gauge move at the same time going all the way up, stop half way then back down. What could be the problem? I have never had problems starting the car. This is the first time it has never started and wasn't battery related. Another question, IF the guy tried to hook up the jumper cables incorrectly to my car reversing the negative and positive cables, what damage could it have done and does this sound like that could have been the problem? It is a possibility that he did that because he didn't really know what he was doing. Thank you in advance!

Thursday, April 21st, 2011 AT 6:44 PM

CHARM530
  • 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA

Starter relay 2004 corolla where is it

+1
Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 3:40 AM (Merged)

See below

POINTY_EARS
  • 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA

Tuesday night, the car wouldn't start, even with a jump. Some guys did the whole thing of hitting the starter a few times to get it unstuck, and that worked.
Wednesday night, the starter wouldn't work again, and even hitting it didn't help.
Thursday, I replaced the starter, and for good measure, cleaned some corrosion off of one battery terminal and topped off its water. Car went back to working great.
This morning (Sunday), I turned the key and got the fast "tic-tic-tic-tic-tic" of a starter that doesn't have quite enough electricity. A second turn of the key didn't even do that much. A check of the battery, though, showed just over 12V!
WHAT THE HECK! I have now exhausted my quite limited knowledge of why my car won't start. PLEASE HELP! (I'm a little desperate; can you tell?)

HOPEFULLY SOMETHING I THROW OUT HERE WILL HELP YOU

THE KEY HERE IS "DOING" NOT "LOOKING"!

TO SAVE TIME AND MEGA PECKING, PLEASE LOOK AT "MY ANSWER" IN MY LINK, I MADE SOME PICS AT THE END

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

RETURN HERE WITH SOME GOOD NEWS!

WE LIKE HAPPY ENDINGS!

GOSPELJAZRIC
  • 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA

Noises problem
2004 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 74,000 miles

Recently, I had an oil change some weeks back. Yesterday my car was fine going up to my destination but coming back form my destination the car started to make alot of noises, I notice the speed was slowing down so I stopped the car. I tried to start it again and it was making more click-clack noises. So I let it cool off, start it again, the same noises but I was able to drive it to a nearby gas station. I opened the hood and checked the oil and notice that the oil was completely dry! There was no oil what so ever in the car! So I put 3qts in the car but the sound remained. Tried to drive it but it started to slow down and came to a stop. Right now, the car isnt starting at all. I suspect there was an oil leakage that drained the oil out of the car (there was no idication that there was no oil in the car, the oil light normally comes on when that is the case, but the light didnt come on at all) and case the parts to be unlubricated. Any ideas on what the problem can be and an estimate of the repairs?

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

The only way you would loose all the oil would be if the drain plug was missing or very loose, a faulty oil filter seal or may be they just did not add enough oil to the car when the service was done, if the sump pugs is loose, it will drip all the time and if the filter was faulty you will have oil sprayed all over the engine bay, if the oil was never topped up, well on oil on mess! As for the repairs this will be determined on how much damage has been done and this will not be know until the engine is dismantled.

GOSPELJAZRIC

Thanks mark, much appreciated, a mechanic will give me a call today to let me know what is up. I just wanted to get a heads-up to before he called me

KET_BOY
  • 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA

The car was without a problem until yesterday when I went out driving the car it starts to stall. When I came home I tried to floor it and it stalls. Now it is only starting for two or three seconds before it stalls and then it does not start again. I have to turn off and on the key to start. I do not know what would be. Please help me.

Try resetting security system if no manual look online for your car. If it continues scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge. Tn the US auto parts rent it.

2CARPROS RENEE
  • 683 POSTS

Here is a link to an article that features written step by step instructions and pictures explaining how to do the scan yourself, also I have included a link to our YouTube channel with a how to video on code scanning. And I have included a link for checking the fuel pressure yourself with a gauge. Most scanners are inexpensive to purchase, you can purchase one from Amazon.com. Once you have the codes please get back to us so that we can further assist you.

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

COROLLA1352
  • 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA

2004 Toyota Corolla 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 10,000 miles

Yesterday I drove my 2004 toyota coralla into a big puddle on the street. The car sunk up to the back tire in the back, and only about 3-4 inches in the front. We pushed the car out about 5 minutes later, got all the water out of the interior with buckets, and were not able to drive it the rest of the day because the car would not start. Today, it did not work either, and we had a tow come tow it to the repair shop. The radio works fine, so I dont know if the problem is electrical or what, but why wont the car start? What is wrong with it?

BLACKOP555

Will car crank. I.E attempt to start?

Does it click? Headlights dim when attempting to crank it, get back to me.

COROLLA1352

Yea, it attempts to start but shuts down immediately. Actually the first time we tired to start it, it worked completly, but shut off about a minute later.

CLAREMR
  • 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA

My 2004 toyota corolla seems to start but once I drive for a short time and shut it off it gives me a hard time. It makes sounds like it is trying to start. It has taken up to 45 min to get it started. What do you think is the problem?

You need to check the fuel pump pressure when this happens, and make sure it is getting spark to the engine too. For directions, go to our homepage under the DIY section.

KHRYSTSINA
  • 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA

2004 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

I replaced the battery in my car about a year ago. Lately I have noticed that my clock in the car is not lit up as well sometimes. Today I tried to start the car and it made many clicking noise similar to when you press the button on your remote to open/close the car. Also, the speedometer was going crazy showing that I was going 10-20 miles/hour even though the car was parked. The lights flickered and turning the car off (taking the key out of the ignition) was the only thing that stopped this craziness. When I jumped the car, it started perfectly. What could that be?

MMPRINCE4000

Either a bad battery or a bad connection to the battery cables.

Take to most autoparts stores and have charging system tested.

Could also be a weak/bad alternator.

• 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA

It was -20 degrees F a couple days ago when this same problem happened. My car wouldn't start. It made a clicking sound and just wouldn't go. One of my friends helped me jumpstart it and it started to run again. A few days later the same thing happened but jumpstarting it didn't seem to work. My question is: Do I need a new car battery?

KHLOW2008

If jumpstarting does not work, it might not be a fault with the battery. Anyway most parts stores can test the battery for you.

When problem occurs only when hot, it might be an electrical fault. Try cleaning the battery terminals and making sure they are secure.

KHLOW2008

Sorry, I mean cold.