Brakes locking on.

GFOSTER34
  • 2004 SATURN VUE
  • AWD
After I have to hit the brakes hard, the right front brake pad seems to be locking on to the rotor instead of releasing. It causes violent vibrations of the car until I get a chance to apply the brakes firmly and release a few times. What can I do? I installed the brakes and rotors about 9 months ago, but I had to replace the hub assembly on the wheel that is giving me problems last month.
Sunday, April 10th, 2011 AT 3:51 PM

Sounds typical of a sticking caliper. First, when it begins dragging again, stop and open the bleeder screw to see if it releases. If it does not, replace both front calipers. They should be replaced in pairs to maintain even braking side-to-side. If the caliper does release when you open the bleeder screw, something has the brake fluid trapped. Work your way down from the master cylinder opening various fittings. If the brake releases right from the steel line on the master cylinder, suspect fluid contaminated with petroleum product causing the rubber seals to swell and grow past the return ports. Also look for the use of a metal anchor bracket crimped around the rubber brake hose by the wheel. Rust can build up inside that crimp and constrict the hose so fluid can be forced through from the high pressure on the brake pedal but it can't release back to the master cylinder.
+1
Sunday, April 10th, 2011 AT 5:06 PM
WILLIAM G FULTZ
If both sides are locking up and it frees up when you push hard on the break pedal with the ignition off. You master cylinder is leaking INTO the brake booster. Pull the master off and look into the booster. If it has ANY brake fluid in it replace it and the master. Also think if you have ever added fluid. And could not find a leak.
+1
Saturday, February 3rd, 2018 AT 5:08 AM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
Monday, February 5th, 2018 AT 11:39 AM