ENGINE PROBLEMS

2004 Saturn Ion

maxsom

May, 6, 2011 AT 11:59 PM

My cars engine started running rough and has no power when I try to accelerate. I can floor it and it barely goes. The rpms stay under 2,000 I also noticed that it had smoke coming from the exhaust when I take off. It does not do this all of the time though. I drove all the way to work and it didn't have any problems, but did on my way home.

saturntech9

May, 7, 2011 AT 12:30 AM

The first thing you need to do is take it to a auto parts store and have them scan it for codes. Let me know what the exact codes are.

maxsom

May, 7, 2011 AT 1:11 AM

My check engine light is not on and the parts store said they couldn't help.

saturntech9

May, 7, 2011 AT 4:45 PM

I dont know why the auto parts store thinks just because your lights not on that there isnt any codes. We need to see if you have any codes that is are starting point then we can gonfrom there. Do they rent the scanners anywhere in your area?

dandeer

January, 12, 2016 AT 8:08 AM

Maxsom. I have a new question. I have a 2004 Saturn ion 2.2 that I had the engine rebuilt, new rings(std), new pistons(std), new rod inserts(std), had the cyl head redone by a machine shop, after it was done the car smoke very badly. Thinking the rings need to seat I drove it over 800 miles it burned about 2qts of oil. Well I had it tore back down and check to see if we had broke ring. It was not. We could see that most of the oil lost was on #1 cyl. So we put different rings in it (all molly) before we had molly/chrome. We sent the head back to the machine shop to recheck it. It was good. Now that we have put it all back together it still smokes all coming from #1 cyl. I have drove it now 400 miles. I know the rings has to seat but this is bad. Any clues.

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement Ford
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Air Filter Replacement Ford F-250