ENGINE PROBLEMS

• maxsom
  • 2004 Saturn Ion
  • automatic

My cars engine started running rough and has no power when I try to accelerate. I can floor it and it barely goes. The rpms stay under 2,000 I also noticed that it had smoke coming from the exhaust when I take off. It does not do this all of the time though. I drove all the way to work and it didn't have any problems, but did on my way home.

Friday, May 6th, 2011 AT 11:59 PM

• saturntech9

The first thing you need to do is take it to a auto parts store and have them scan it for codes. Let me know what the exact codes are.

Saturday, May 7th, 2011 AT 12:30 AM
  • maxsom

My check engine light is not on and the parts store said they couldn't help.

Saturday, May 7th, 2011 AT 1:11 AM
  • saturntech9

I dont know why the auto parts store thinks just because your lights not on that there isnt any codes. We need to see if you have any codes that is are starting point then we can gonfrom there. Do they rent the scanners anywhere in your area?

Saturday, May 7th, 2011 AT 4:45 PM
  • dandeer

Maxsom. I have a new question. I have a 2004 Saturn ion 2.2 that I had the engine rebuilt, new rings(std), new pistons(std), new rod inserts(std), had the cyl head redone by a machine shop, after it was done the car smoke very badly. Thinking the rings need to seat I drove it over 800 miles it burned about 2qts of oil. Well I had it tore back down and check to see if we had broke ring. It was not. We could see that most of the oil lost was on #1 cyl. So we put different rings in it (all molly) before we had molly/chrome. We sent the head back to the machine shop to recheck it. It was good. Now that we have put it all back together it still smokes all coming from #1 cyl. I have drove it now 400 miles. I know the rings has to seat but this is bad. Any clues.

Tuesday, January 12th, 2016 AT 8:08 AM