I HAVE A LEAK AT THE HOSE LINE ABOUT MIDPOINT ON THE CONVERTIBLE SOFT TOP,

• Rocandav
  • 2004 SAAB 9-3

Is it possible to splice in another identical hose without much problem? Hydraulic Hose info taken off the hose: Parker Polyflex 263 DN2 WP 200 bar
(the 200 bar translates to about 2900 psi - is this the actual operating pressure?)
What fittings can be used for reattachment?

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 2:32 AM

• Rivermikerat

You need the ones designed for whatever hydraulic fluid is being used and the pressure in use.

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 2:37 AM
  • Rocandav

Saab dealer mentions to use Mineral Oil. I will most likely replace the entire line and not take a chance to splice in. I have contacted Parker (USA division) and see if a splice is even realistic.
Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, October 18th, 2011 AT 2:06 AM
  • Rivermikerat

Splices are normally not recommendable, especially at the pressure levels you mentioned above.

Tuesday, October 18th, 2011 AT 3:32 AM
  • Gregfox

Rocandav,
did you have any luck?
I was considering a splice as well, so I could use a tube with more resilience to being in the top down bent position longer.

At the pump, there looks to be Tube Stub Fittings. Does anyone know how they are connected? It looks like the pump plate holds them in, or do they screw into the plate?

Sunday, October 23rd, 2011 AT 8:17 PM
  • Gregfox

The line has a product number 263 DN2 WP 200 BAR, and a QC number QC 23077 07 3-Q-04. The line OD is 0.174-0.179. Parker Polyflex

the bend in the closed position is about 1" dia, and straight when oppen.

The cylinder connection in has an OD of 0.149. At the pump, what looks like Tube Stub Fitting, the OD of the fitting as it passes through the manifold plate, is 0.172. I'm not sure how they connect past this point howerver.

Sunday, October 23rd, 2011 AT 9:57 PM
  • Gregfox

The cylinder connection in has an OD of 0.149. At the pump, what looks like Tube Stub Fitting, the OD of the fitting as it passes through the manifold plate, is 0.172. I'm not sure how they connect past this point howerver. It is the lower connection

Sunday, October 23rd, 2011 AT 10:04 PM
  • Rivermikerat

Greg; A hose that is more resilient is usually less able to handle higher pressures.

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 9:35 PM
  • Rocandav

Gregfox
The thought was to replace an equivalent / capable line. If this line is approaching even 100 psi, you will need the right connections. Having worked in the Structural test engineer'g field, we used 3000 psi lines to run our Static and cyclic test (1500 psi if minimal loading). These pressures truly require correct connections (most ours were Stainless steel with sufficient rating). With our SAAB, I am just going to install the entire line (see Jim Ellis Saab Atlanta for a menagerie of parts with illustrations).

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 12:26 AM
  • Rivermikerat

That's what I would recommend.

Thursday, November 24th, 2011 AT 3:32 AM
  • Nachogarcia

Hello friend,
I am having exactly the same problem with my saab 93 2004 cabriolet. Do you remember where did you buy the hose and the part number?
Were you able to replace it on your own?
Thanks a million
Ignacio from Spain

Sunday, July 5th, 2015 AT 4:43 AM