3.4 GM COLD START PROBLEM

2004 Pontiac Grand Am

nellster

Good Morning,
I have a 2004 3.4l grand am that has not started cold since nov1/10, only starts if we plug in block heater. We have spent $1,000 so far trying to troubleshoot at GM and they cannot find whats wrong, running out of patience and cash, we have replaced crank, cam, coolant sensors, new battery, only sensor we haven't replace is air intake temp sensor. Fuel pressure is ok, replaced air and fuel filters and a new ECM, STILL NEEDS MORE DIAGNOSIS. I would appreciate any other advice,
thank you.

Wrenchtech

You need to go back to basics. Check carefully for a vacuum leak, check the fuel pressure and do a compression test.

nellster

January, 17, 2011 AT 11:08 AM

That has been done at the dealer already. I also forgot to mention that when we use either quick start she fires right up in the cold, not plugged in, .

Wrenchtech

If that's your stand on this, then there is nothing further I can do for you.

nellster

Huh. I don't quite understand what you mean by your last reply, I am looking for HELP and other ways to troubleshoot this problem, but thanks for your effort, will try elsewhere.

Wrenchtech

January, 18, 2011 AT 12:01 AM

One thing you will learn about diagnostics and auto techs is, in this business is we don't subscribe to "someone else tested that" answer. We systematically isolate where the issue is coming from and don't rely on someone else's opinion on things. When we attempt to find a problem, it's starting from scratch. We could walk you through test procedures but we expect the tests to be performed and to receive accurate results or we are just wasting are time.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe