HAVING TROUBLE STARTING.

2004 Nissan Maxima

kvlef911

August, 11, 2012 AT 10:00 PM

I have a 2004 nissan maxima se and for the past week it has been giving me problems starting. It will turn over with no problem, but it is like it is not getting gas. Especially after I stop to go to the store or if it has been shut off for a short period of time it is worse to where I have to keep cranking it for 5-10 minutes (not continuous) before it will finally turn over. If it has been sitting for the night or the 8-9 hours I'm at work it will usually start on the first crank. I was told it was the mass air flow sensor, so I changed that out, but still no better. It has 140,000 miles and the plugs have not been changed. Could that be the issue? HELP!

1991 Hard To Start

Engine Does Not Stay Running

saturntech9

August, 11, 2012 AT 10:09 PM

Lets start by taking it to a auto parts store like auto zone and have them scan your car for codes. Let me know the exact code numbers you have not code descriptions if you have any.

August, 12, 2012 AT 9:18 AM

More likely to be an ECT or knock sensor problem. Let us have the codes.

djcl

August, 12, 2012 AT 12:14 PM

Spark plugs will not do that. A coolant temp sensor might but will have to be tested when its not starting. Getting codes is the best place to start

saturntech9

August, 12, 2012 AT 3:22 PM

Two moderators have already said that now lol.

kvlef911

August, 14, 2012 AT 4:07 PM

I got the codes and there are 2. One is P0340 which states the camshaft position sensor (CMP) circuit. The other says 02 sensor Bank 1. Are these an easy fix? Where are they located? Thanks

August, 14, 2012 AT 4:31 PM

Trouble codes does not necessarily mean the component is/are faulty so it is best to test and confirm the part is bad. Loose or contaminated wiring connectors are common causes for trouble codes. A faulty PCM can cause the same so if you are to replace parts first, be prepared for eventualities. The camsensor code is rather troublesome as quite often replacing the sensor does not work.

O2 sensor bank 1 is located on front exhaust tube assy.
For P0340, the testing procedures are rather lenghty so would you be able to perform the tests with a DVOM?

Camshaft sensors (PHASE) are located at end of cylinder head, one on each head.

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement