CAR NOISE

2004 Nissan Maxima

MissT85

August, 21, 2013 AT 8:39 AM

I just recently had my timing chain and tensioner guide replaced due to a noise the car was making which is what brought in for the complaint =. Before that my alternator went out and I had to get that replaced. After having all that replaced the noise started back like a day after repairs had been made and I took the car back for so I was told my A/F sensor needed to be replaced and me i'm like ok if this is going to fix the noise ok got that done and before I leave off the dealers lot the noise starts back. Now they tell me to leave the vehicle with them until they diagnose the problem which was for a week or two. Finally they call and tell me its the sprockets. Would this be the problem and cease the noise that I'm hear coming from the problem. Also should that have been replaced along with the timing chain and tensioner guide from the beginning. Ive already spent out 2700 in repairs and now their telling this repair is going to cost me another 2200 dollars.

obxautomedic

August, 21, 2013 AT 6:08 PM

Ok, the Sprocket on some makes and model are not usually changed unless requested. Question for you. Did they replace the Water Pump when they done the timing? If not most likely the noise is the water pump. And I have never heard of the Sprockets making noise, it is usually the Chain or possibly the tensioner and since they are new I wouldn't think they would be the cause.

I have come across this problem on other makes and model where the water pump is run by the timing belt or is located behind the timing chain.

MissT85

August, 21, 2013 AT 9:01 PM

Thanks. Yes I was told they replaced the water pump the first go round. With the sprockets needing to be replaced would that be the problem or just a way of going back on their work and charging me for the same labor

obxautomedic

August, 21, 2013 AT 9:32 PM

Ok, if you are able, what I would do is remove the Drive Belt, start the vehicle and see if you hear the noise. If you don't then they need to look else where for the noise. Actually what kind of noise is it, describe as best you can. Also, are you able to give a rough location of were the noise is coming from, and does it do it while at idle or driving?

MissT85

August, 23, 2013 AT 3:57 AM

Here's some links from you tube with the similar noise I'm describing the noise is during idle and driving. http://youtu.be/k0bXhBnXpKc And in the first video this was after replacing the timing chain as well.

obxautomedic

August, 23, 2013 AT 5:54 AM

Ok, now is it making the Rattling noise or the Tapping noise? If tapping then would say it's either Valves or Lifters. When is you next oil change due? If close I would get a can of engine treatment like Riselone or STP and put it in and run it for little while, if quiets down then would say it's lifters, if doesn't would say it's the Valves. And either way your looking at an expensive fix.

Windshield Wiper Replacement Toyota Corolla
DRL Light Bulb Replacement
Wiper Blade Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Windshield Wiper Replacement Ford Escape
Wiper Blade Replacement Acura MDX