2004 Mazda RX8 starting up

MESSI
  • 2004 MAZDA RX8
When the car is cold it does not start finally did started run fine for two weeks and then did again. What can be causing this. Replaced spark plugs, coils and wires. Is any sensor that should be replaced? Thank you.
Saturday, January 18th, 2014 AT 9:10 PM

TY ANDERSON
If you drive the vehicle on short trips or cold ambient temperature can cause the engine not to start up. Getting the engine hot and not allowing the engine to cool down too much (example going into a store for a few hours) will cause this. It's the nature of the beast.
What is happening is the engine adds more fuel for cold/short starting which can cause flooding preventing starting the engine. This is common on these Wankel engines. You can try pressing the accelerator completely to the floor while starting the engine. What this will do is shut down the fuel injectors from spraying fuel so you can clear out the flooded combustion chamber by cranking the engine. Then, attempt to start the engine again normally.
Saturday, January 18th, 2014 AT 10:17 PM
MESSI
Thank you for your prompt response> is there anything else I should check? It seems to me that there is something else that is causing this > the reason I say that is because the car will start and runs great, never had that problem before and then all of the sudden started to do that> drove for the last two years and it never did that. Thank you.
Saturday, January 18th, 2014 AT 10:26 PM
TY ANDERSON
Most of the time it is flooded and others it is due to the compression produced by the engine is decreasing (wear). If you type in this technical service bulletin (TSB) into a search engine it should come up with some info for you: "01-015/08". I wouldn't consider anything else unless the check engine light is on.
Saturday, January 18th, 2014 AT 10:38 PM
MESSI
Ok thank you for your help.
Saturday, January 18th, 2014 AT 11:02 PM