2004 Hyundai Sonata trouble starting

HSAAGER1
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SONATA
Last night it about an hour after I got home.
Car did crank, but not start.
2 hours later it would start but stoll, sounded like bubbling ( too much liquid? ).
This morning it started normal. But I didn't drive it, because I didn't want to risk to be stranded.
Any suggestions what it could be?
Thursday, September 24th, 2015 AT 8:31 AM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Thursday, September 24th, 2015 AT 9:53 AM
ED-WEEZY21
Just to add to this one, have you tried scanning for pending codes? This cars are widely known for bad crankshaft position sensors that cause all of the symptoms you described. Unfortunately, on the 2.4L engines, its located behind the timing belt so the timing covers will have to be removed in order to inspect it. Best of luck.
Saturday, October 31st, 2015 AT 5:58 PM
HSAAGER1
Took it to two mechanics. No codes or reason we're found. Last one recommend that I should take it to hyundai. They said it was the purge valve, got it done. Didn't have a problem since (3weeks ago).
That's about how long it took between the first and second time to occur. Guess I'll find out if the problem is really solved or not.
Saturday, October 31st, 2015 AT 6:18 PM
WRENCHTECH
That would have shown up in the testing I gave you as no spark and no injector pulse, although the injectors and coil would have power supply.
Saturday, October 31st, 2015 AT 6:22 PM
WRENCHTECH
A purge valve isn't going to cause a crank, no start.
Saturday, October 31st, 2015 AT 6:24 PM
HSAAGER1
After the first time when it hapened. The mechanic I took it to couldn't find anything and suggested that bad gas might have been the issue. It took about 3 weeks until it happened again. That time, it would start after I waited for a few minutes and then tried again. It would start just fine a few times and have the same issue again the next day. That's when I noticed the gas smell, I took it to another mechanic who also wasn't able to figure out the problem. He then recommended to take it to hyundai as they would know more about that particular model. Who then diagnosed that it was the purge valve.
Saturday, October 31st, 2015 AT 7:11 PM
HSAAGER1
I'm not able to run all those tests you were describing in an earlier response. As you can tell, the problem occurred again. It is now about a month after the Hyundai dealer replaced the purge valve.
It will crank a few minutes after it didn't. So there is no way to have a mechanic run those tests when it happens. Can you give me an ballpark estimate, on how much a crankshaft sensor replacement would be?
Wednesday, November 25th, 2015 AT 6:46 PM
HSAAGER1
This time it stalled after it started and then wouldn't start for a few minutes.
Wednesday, November 25th, 2015 AT 6:50 PM
WRENCHTECH
It al goes back to my first answer. Those tests HAVE to be run when the problem is present.
Wednesday, November 25th, 2015 AT 7:06 PM
HSAAGER1
But how, if the problem is resolved after a few minutes and I don't have a mechanic with his tools riding with me at all times?
So far, it happened 4 times in the last 2 months. Only the 2nd and third time were less then 24hours apart. The rest 3 to 4 weeks.
Wednesday, November 25th, 2015 AT 7:25 PM
WRENCHTECH
It's not easy but this is the type of problem we face a lot. If the problem is that intermittent it's about impossible to diagnose. The mechanic has to be able to duplicate the symptoms to be able to diagnose the problem. If you just start throwing parts at it, that can get very expensive and we simply don't work that way.
Wednesday, November 25th, 2015 AT 7:33 PM
HSAAGER1
Well, if there really is no way other way to figure out whats wrong unless it actually just happened. Where would you recommend to get started. Compression test, crankshaft sensor?
I need to get something done about it.
Thursday, November 26th, 2015 AT 2:41 AM
HSAAGER1
There seems to be a problem with the security system as well. Sometimes the remote won't open it and the key won't turn either. Could that be a reason for tbe related?
Thursday, November 26th, 2015 AT 9:02 AM
WRENCHTECH
The keyless entry and the immobilizer are 2 completely different systems and neither one will prevent the key from turning the lock.
The burglar alarm system is controlled by the keyless entry but it should be obvious if that is triggered. One particular situation of a defective alarm relay could cause a no start.

https://www.2carpros.com/images/external/110836454.jpg.gif
Thursday, November 26th, 2015 AT 9:15 AM
HSAAGER1
The 2nd option I'm very sure is what's happening. I am not able to open the trunk with the remote. Just the key and I always have to disarm the alarm first or it goes off
Now if the security system will cause a no start situation, would the engine even be able to crank but not start?
Thursday, November 26th, 2015 AT 9:28 AM
WRENCHTECH
You're just beating a dead horse here. There are dozens of possible reasons for a no start but until you determine which functions dropped out, you're just spinning your wheels. You can spend a fortune throwing parts at the problem with no success.
Thursday, November 26th, 2015 AT 9:31 AM
HSAAGER1
I am just trying to narrow down the options to get to the bottom of this.
In this case of the alarm system creating a no start issue, would there be any power to the car or would that not work either?
Thursday, November 26th, 2015 AT 11:00 AM