2004 Hyundai Sonata arcing electric/engine problem

JESARAM
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SONATA
I have a 2004 hyundai sonata 5 spd manual trans. The problem is that its arcing from where my spark plugs are located. I have replaced my spark plugs, the wires and I have used dielectric grease. I also tried it with other coils but it still keeps arcing. I have tried everything I could think of. It sparks only when I accelerate from the engine. I really don't know what to do.
Friday, August 30th, 2013 AT 11:40 AM

TY ANDERSON
What size engine do you have? What kind of spark plugs did you use? Did you gap them depending on type of plug? SPECIFICATION: 0.039-0.043 (1.0-1.1mm) over gapped plugs will cause the high voltage to take the path of least resistance. Talk to you soon, TY
Friday, August 30th, 2013 AT 8:03 PM
JESARAM
Thanks for your answer. I have some auto lite double platinum spark plugs in it I gapped the at 0.044 because that's what the guys at autozone said it had to be. As I mentioned before I already tried other coils, spark plug wires, and spark plugs but it still arcs and its every time I accelerate from the engine. The engine is a DOHC 16 valve 2.4L.
Sunday, September 1st, 2013 AT 9:06 AM
TY ANDERSON
Is there any oil down any of the four spark plug tubes? If not you may have what is called carbon tracing. This carbon trace conducts electricity and provides a shorter route to ground than the spark plugs do.
Can you see were it is arcing? Or isolate which cylinder is arcing?
Let me know, TY
Monday, September 2nd, 2013 AT 10:07 AM
JESARAM
It arcs from the coils but sometimes it runs thru the wires. Like I mentioned to you before I replaced wires, spark plugs and even tried other coils but kept doing the same thing. You could hear the current running thru the wires
Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013 AT 8:40 AM
TY ANDERSON
Can you see the arc occurring?
Does the engine run rough at idle or when accelerating?
Is there a check engine or service engine soon light on when cycling the key and with the engine running?

When it is dark outside (it is easier to see arcing when it is dark) run the engine and spray some water on the coils with a spray bottle (mist) you should see a bluish arcing whenever the coil discharges. Try this then get back to me, TY
Wednesday, September 4th, 2013 AT 9:03 PM
JESARAM
Yeah I can see the electric discharge. My car on neutral is at 800 rpms about. When I accelerate and the rpms reach 1000 my car hits them rough. There is no lights on the dash. I took it to a mechanic to get it scanned but he said he got no codes. Also every time I turn my a/c on my car shakes heavily and drops to 500-600 rpms.
Thursday, September 5th, 2013 AT 8:43 AM
TY ANDERSON
The only possible causes of electrical leaks could be: over gaped spark plugs, defective spark plugs, spark plug wires, and defective ignition coil. These are the only possible sources for arc to come through and ground out. So, one or more of the above components has got to be causing the arcing. Talk to you soon, TY
Thursday, September 5th, 2013 AT 8:26 PM
JESARAM
The current jumps from my coils but I already tried others but it did the same. I am going to try and regap my spark plugs. They are brand new but they just might be gaped wrong. I used an old gaping tool (worn a bit down). Thanks for your advise :)
Thursday, September 5th, 2013 AT 8:45 PM