2004 Hyundai Santa Fe timing belt replacement

EVERYME21
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
2004 Dohc 2.4 LHyundai Santa fe. The camshaft sprockets do not turn more than a quarter turn. The marks do not line up. What did I do and can it be remedied?
Sunday, September 14th, 2014 AT 6:07 PM

This is an "interference" engine meaning if the timing is off as little as three teeth, any open valves can be hit by the pistons. You didn't say what the history is that has led up to this point so I don't know if you had the cylinder head off and why, so I just have to guess. If you're replacing the timing belt just for normal maintenance, the camshaft sprockets turned due to the pressure of the valve springs pushing on the camshaft's lobes. All you have to do is put everything back in alignment, then slide the belt on. If the timing belt broke while you were driving, there's going to be bent valves and the cylinder head will have to be removed to replace them. Regardless of the cause, if you tried to forcibly turn one of the camshafts when it locked up, you may have also bent a valve.

Once the valves are replaced, if necessary, all you have to do to turn the camshafts is to move the pistons away from top dead center. Just turn the crankshaft 1/8th of a turn, put the camshaft sprockets in time, then bring the crankshaft back up to top dead center.
Sunday, September 14th, 2014 AT 6:36 PM
EVERYME21
It died shifting into 3rd(manual tran). When I got to the timing belt I saw that the teeth were sheered of in multiple spots. The code reader I used said crankshaft sensor error.
Sunday, September 14th, 2014 AT 6:42 PM
Once you get it timed and the belt installed, do a compression test. If you find it's real low, you'll need to have the bent valves replaced.
Sunday, September 14th, 2014 AT 7:15 PM
EVERYME21
Thanks much. I'll get on it tomorrow.
Sunday, September 14th, 2014 AT 7:17 PM