POWER STEERING NOISE AND LEAK

2004 Honda Accord

vgronkowski

March, 31, 2011 AT 10:47 PM

I drive a 2004 Honda Accord EX. For the past year, I have noticed that when it is colder outside, my car makes a loud squealing noise especially when I turn the wheel. I took my car in to replace the serpentine belt, and was told I needed to get my rack and pinion replaced for $1100. I had someone take a look at my car who was a car mechanic in the past and said my rack and pinion was dry. He did notice a small leak around the bottom hose that connects to the power steering pump. I read on here that an O-ring needs to be replaced on the power steering pump inlet joint. Is there anything else that should be replaced?

Wrenchtech

March, 31, 2011 AT 10:59 PM

If you're replacing a hose, it will come with new O-rings. None of these things are going to cause a squealing noise unless this oil is getting on the belt

vgronkowski

March, 31, 2011 AT 11:31 PM

If there's a leak, can't air get into the system to cause that noise? Noise is gone once it has warmed up.

Wrenchtech

March, 31, 2011 AT 11:33 PM

Air noise is growling, belt noise is squealing.

vgronkowski

March, 31, 2011 AT 11:46 PM

Well, belt was replaced, noise remains. Let's call it growling then! Would it be an replacement of the hose(s) and O-rings?

Honda Tech 1818

April, 5, 2011 AT 5:15 AM

Air is entering the pump through the o-ring. Replaced the powersteering pump inlet joint o-ring and that would fix it.

vgronkowski

April, 5, 2011 AT 5:32 AM

Thank you. I will do that. How much do they typically charge to replace the o-ring?

Honda Tech 1818

April, 5, 2011 AT 6:47 AM

The o ring is about 2-5 dollars at the dealer. You will need a bottle of Honda powersteering fluid also. You can do it yourself it's not hard at all. All you need to do is found the powersteering pump and remove the 10mm bolt and the black inlet joint at the front of the pump and replace the o ring. (When you remove the inlet joint use a cloth to catch some of the fluid)

Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe