AC DOESNT COOL AT HIGHER CAR SPEEDS

• dipendrajain
  • 2004 Honda Accord

My honda accord manual ac doesnt seem to cool after I cross 60MPH. Below that speeds it works brilliantly well. This problem happens almost all the time. Also one side the air seems cooler than the other. I did make sure both side temp was set the same. The ac starts cooling again if I switch off the engine for sometime and start again. Then again after I cross the 60mph speed the blower starts throwing normal air i.E not cool/chilled air.

Pl help

Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 1:35 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Sounds like the system is icing up. Have the pressures checked to verify they are correct.

Could be clogged condenser, bad dryer or expansion valve

Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 1:40 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Does this happen after maintaining that speed for a period of time or right away when reaching that speed?

Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 2:01 PM
  • dipendrajain

Wrenchtech

I have only noticed this problem once I cross that speed. And yes it only happens when I maintain speed higher that that on a highway. Seems really weird and difficult to diagnose.

Friday, August 31st, 2012 AT 7:50 AM
  • Wrenchtech

That's not what I asked.

Does it shut off immediately upon reaching that speed or does it have to maintain speed for a while before it happens?

Friday, August 31st, 2012 AT 9:58 AM
  • dipendrajain

The blower works but the air that comes out is not cool. Though on the passenger side the air slightly cooler than the driver side though still not cool at all. It does not shut off immediately. It stops cooling after sometime. Though the auto feature does increase the blower speed if u reduce the temp.

Friday, August 31st, 2012 AT 5:09 PM
  • Wrenchtech

And if you shut the system off while you're driving and leave it off for 30 minutes or so, it will work again?

Friday, August 31st, 2012 AT 5:36 PM
  • dipendrajain

I tried shutting it off for sometime and switched it back and it worked. The other time I tried the same it did not work.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 3:07 AM
  • Wrenchtech

Probably a bad compressor clutch but there are many more possibilities so it has to be tested when the problem is present.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 9:51 AM