Come to a stop it acts like its going to stall

DANIELKILBURN
  • 2004 FORD FOCUS

I have a 2004 Ford Focus SE. My car is running fine while driving it but, once you come to a stop it acts like its going to die. I changed the idle air control valve.

Had the alternator rebuilt about a month ago don't know it that had anything to do with it.

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 4:27 PM

SATURNTECH9

So at idle with the car in gear what does the battery voltage reading at the battery read?

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 4:34 PM
WRENCHTECH

Let me add to this

First eliminate all vacuum or air leaks in the system. You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 4:49 PM
SATURNTECH9

It would be a lot easier to just check the voltage real quick then do all of wrenchtechs wonderful suggestions.

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 6:09 PM
WRENCHTECH

By all means check the alternator if you really feel it has anything to do with stalling at idle and running great the rest of the time.

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 6:21 PM
SATURNTECH9

I have seen stranger things also make sure there isnt any codes in the computer then make sure the battery cables are clean and loose cables will cause stalling at stops have seen that more then once.

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 6:29 PM
DANIELLEKILBURN

Thank you all I already cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner and changed the IAC valve. I will check the cables though, I also checked the throttle position sensor with a new one but the problem was still there. I also checked the mass air flow sensor but it looked fine to me. When you turn the A/C compressor kicks on the IAC opens and lets it throttle up but when it kicks off it drags down and try's to quit. Didn't remember if I said that or not don't really know if that makes a difference or not.

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 9:10 PM
DANIELLEKILBURN

It doesn't have a battery gage. Just temp and fuel gage.

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 9:16 PM
SATURNTECH9

I was talking about using a multi meter to check the voltage. Do you have any codes?I would look for vacuum leaks also.

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 9:22 PM
DANIELLEKILBURN

Oh ok I'm sorry where would I check that at? It's not throwing any codes I don't think the check engine light is not on. I just now cleaned the battery terminals really good and the hook ups. I drove it down the road and turned around when I came to a stop it started to die I noticed the battery light came on for just a sec and went off. I hadn't noticed that before though. Also where would I need to look for the vacuum leaks?

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 9:56 PM
SATURNTECH9

Were the cables corroded?Or loose?You would check the voltage at the battery cables at the battery. You look for a vacuum leak on all the vacuum hoses intake gasket anywhere a vacuum source is. The battery light could have came on because the engine rpms were so low.

Monday, October 15th, 2012 AT 10:22 PM