2004 Ford F-150 stalling

DYKES17
  • 2004 FORD F-150
My truck has had a stalling problem for a while. When it idles, the rpms will jump up and down and the whole truck will vibrate, and it will stall. I have tried cleaning the throttle body, maf scensor, replaced oxygen sensors, and fuel sensors. What I have noticed is that if I disconnect the battery for a couple hours, then the truck will run much better, but doesn't last long. Could this be a problem with the computer? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. -John
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 9:00 AM

FREEMBA
Have your computer scanned for codes. Then post the codes here for more help.

Also, have you cleaned you Idle Air Control (IAC) Solenoid? They frequently need cleaning and do cause idle/stalling problems.
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 10:03 AM
DYKES17
I have scanned the codes, and all that comes up is oxygen sensor is reading low, so I replaced it. This model claims to not have a IAC valve, it is electronicly built into the throttle body, which I cleaned. So they say.
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 10:58 AM
FREEMBA
Could you post the code number you got for the O2 sensor please.

Also, did the check engine light go off and remain off since you changed the O2 sensor? (If so, we don't have to worry about trying to trace the O2 problem)

Also check fro vacuum leaks, especially at the rear of the intake manifold; the pcv valve hose often gets a hole in it and can cause stalling problems. (This is on the 4.6L and 5.4L engines - What size do you have?)
Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 AT 7:16 AM
CPTMT
I had the same problem with my 2001 5.4. I had 160k on it at the time. Fought it for 2 years. Replaced and cleaned a lot parts. IAC, EGR, throttle sensor, plugs, oxygen sensors, nothing worked. Finally a little mom and pop shop (ford could not figure it out) determined it was the plenum gaskets in about 5 minutes. It cost me 900 to have the plenum gaskets changed and the truck runs like champ. Dd not replace any parts until you have this tested.
Sunday, August 4th, 2013 AT 10:58 AM
CPTMT
And I did change the Pcv hose that had a small pin hole in it but that just made it stall a little less. I would be willing to bet the plenum gaskets are the problem.
Sunday, August 4th, 2013 AT 11:01 AM
CPTMT
The only code that ever showed was a misfire code, so it did not help much.
Sunday, August 4th, 2013 AT 11:04 AM