Skipping

LIKAROCK4435
  • 2004 FORD F-150
Truck skips when I press the gas and makes a clunking noise when like its catching gears
Tuesday, June 7th, 2011 AT 5:52 PM

Just got over a skip issue myself w/ wife's Escape.

Although I may be getting out of my capability zone, I saw you had been waiting a while, so maybe I can sorta "triage" your situation. Others may join in and offer better assistance.I hope!

We do try to please. But I'm tellin' you upfront, I may not fix you, just really getting the necessary info the other guys will want. Then again, I may help some how!

I more into Jeep CJs and older Fords.

I may be able to offer some info, since the Ghost skip we had, made me more aware of many things that could cause it. Computer cars are not exactly my thing. But I don't give up! I hate taking my stuff somewhere else and leaving it!

OK need more info--mega detail is a good thing!

Check Engine light--on now--on recently?

Is it one skip or a quick repetitive/ succession thing, lasting a second or so?

Ours skipped here and there, but was really repetitive, when applying slight pedal as you climbed slight or steeper hills.

It could have been mistaken for a quick up and down-shift in succession.

Could it be the skip sorta "accents" slack in the tranny/ U-joints/ rear end?

Do you know how to feel for slack in the system or even correctly check your U-joints (I have a homemade, explanation pic, for checking U-joints, if you want to see it)

Any history, such as washing your engine, hitting a moose etc?

What have you tinkered with/ replaced etc?

If you are non-mechanical, or mechanical, but computer cardumb like me. I may even be able to suggest some inexpensive testing/ repairing resources. Wife says I beg too much, but she's still driving, and I learn too, car always returns to the garage at my house. Every night!

DETAIL DETAIL DETAIL

Your turn

The Medic
Wednesday, June 8th, 2011 AT 3:22 AM
LIKAROCK4435
It's done it before but not that much. I'm in Iraq right now and my wife drives it now. She said it skips everyday when she just slightly presses on the pedal. Like she is stopped then when she goes to apply the the pedal it will go then skip and then kinda***** into gear. Sound like the rear end?
Wednesday, June 8th, 2011 AT 9:12 AM
Cannot figure out, "***** into gear", Looks like our automatic censor took out that "possible bad word"!

Check engine light?

Sorta doing all I can/ best I can with little to go on!

Army?--I like the Army--I was in the Army--Got Mine--Got Yours? I'll show you at the bottom, I will send a couple of pics, one of my second Jeep, other is of my "man cave"

Have her, for right now, take it to Autozone, Advance Auto, or other. Have it "coded", if they are able to check history, check it too. This is usually a FREE service. Bring the code back here, we will get their meaning (the auto parts store may also do the same thing, let us know the codes too!)

The problem we had w/ the Escape did not cause a Check engine light to come on.

Is there a technical school nearby, where your wife is "stationed"?

Your Turn

The Medic
Wednesday, June 8th, 2011 AT 1:00 PM
LIKAROCK4435
Never made it to ranger school I was in germany for three years with a 14 month deploymnet. After that Ft. Stewart still on my second deployment havent had time to go. Getting out now came down on orders to the Old Guard Im a real Infantry man not a dog an pony show one who cant hack it so had to sign a dec statement to get out. The man cave is awesome. Thanks for the help. I'll get home next week so I'll have to do it all lol, dont mind though I like to fix my own stuff. Thanks again for the help and your service.
Thursday, June 9th, 2011 AT 9:24 AM
Likarock4435, not braggin', 'least not about the vehicle stuff!

But, even if I'm wrong about, "what's wrong with your rig", and as you get into it more, and testing sheds light on something else. Or whatever!

If you will continue to "throw" your findings here, usually Somebody here, will see your plight, and will give you a better answer. Without more answers from you, or more testing on your end, it's hard to make a Fast Judgement Call!

So please do continue to keep our end informed, it may save you a bundle of money, in the end.

Turns out on my wife's rig, the problem was a coil pack, going bad.

Even with, recommendations from others, I had "thrown a few parts at it", anything to keep it out of a shop! I had spent a little over $200, slingin' parts, before we arrived at the REAL PROBLEM!

I credit the unnecessary parts (in my own head, and world) towards "preventative maintenance" and Free installation of new parts, which are now taking the place of old "tired" parts----And still, I feel I have "Cheated" the Dealership out of the $$$ that it would have cost, if only they had performed just one operation, I had done (in other words, I still have done a lot MORE replaced, for A LOT LESS, than if taken somewhere else!)

Coil packs on mine were close to $70 a piece-(parts throwin' there, would be $70 X 6 for all new ones---3 were difficult to get to, had to remove the intake to get in there. You have "8", I do not know how EZ to get to!

Instead of stickin' 6 new ones in, My "Plan" was to buy one new one, and begin swapping it out down the line. Until the skipping stopped (which now, had been getting more frequent) (also, this was the previous "parts throwing concept"---MAKE IT STOP!)

Turns out, with some advice from another feller here, I had another source, that sorta "Fell in my Lap", It pointed to #3 doin' the skipping, and Wah-Lah!---Wifey's rig is fixed now, w/ only one, Hard to get to Coil Pack replaced. One time. She is happy---I am happier, I was tired of messing with it (months now! Wasn't gonna let it whoop me!), Now have time to play with my Jeeps and Toys!

Yours may be a totally different scenario, w/ computer cars symptoms, are not like diagnosing an old car. Could be many things, that cause the same symptoms.

Do your testing. Come back to us. We do try, we may can recommend less expensive resources, and we do this for free too (the big guys do smile upon donations, sorta keeps us going)!

Other experts may/ can join in on your post and help out, way more than me!

See you soon soldier!

The Medic
Thursday, June 9th, 2011 AT 12:14 PM
LIKAROCK4435
Thanks again man I got a buddy that is a manager at mienike so I'll take it up there an see what he can tell me. I'll up date you on it when I find out help you gain some knowledge of the new trucks. Thanks.
Thursday, June 9th, 2011 AT 2:52 PM
Roger. Been fun, maybe not for you. I do like to hear a Happy ending!

Be sure you let me know any new findings, I hope that it is a Minor fix, and you'll have some extra money left, to buy me lunch!

The Medic
Thursday, June 9th, 2011 AT 3:03 PM