Flasher relay location please

ANONYMOUS
  • 2004 FORD F-150
Hi guys. I'm having a problem with my rear signal/flashers. Both rear signal lights failed on me, however the front works fine although they flash at double speed. I was told it was probably the flasher relay, or the fuses, but checked the fuses and bought a new relay and still have the same problem. Also replaced both rear lamps. If you can, please point me in the right direction. Be gentle though, I am a rank amateur mechanic and am doing this out of budget necessity and the desire to be self sufficient. Thanks.
Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 AT 2:23 AM

Test to see if power is going to bulbs with a test light first. If it is check for a bad ground on frame. If no power it can be bad turn sig switch or shorted wire. Here is the flasher
-1
Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 AT 12:22 PM
HAL416
  • 2003 FORD F-150
I have a Ford F-150 2003 model and the turn signals do not work, is there a flasher that needs to be replaced and if so where is the location of the flasher?
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2020 AT 11:21 AM (Merged)
FIXITMR
The turn signal flasher is under the hood in #4 relay box. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+1
DATBROWN312
  • 2003 FORD F-150
The turn signals started "skipping" and my local parts manager said it sounded like the flasher relay needed to be replaced. I purchased a replacement and went home to install it. I have changed several of these in other vehicles and figured in would be in the leg area on the driver's side. Could not find it anywhere and checked my Owner's manual. Nothing there so I headed to my local Ford dealer. Talked to someone in parts and the in service and no one could tell me where the flasher relay was located. I would like to save the cost of taking it into the dealer when all I have to do is pull out the old one and put this one it. The part is a cube with four prongs; three parallel and the top (or bottom) perpendicular. I found under the hood an outlet for a plug of this type, but this was not a flasher outlet (per the Owner's Manual) nor would the relay fit (it was too large. If you could help direct me to the location for this relay, it would be appreciated.
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2020 AT 11:22 AM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Your vehicle's indicator flasher relay is located in the auxiliary relay box number 4, behind the center of the dash.
-1
DATBROWN312
I removed the panel and cannot find anything that looks like the cube I purchased from the auto parts dealer. See attached photo. Please further clarify location of flasher relay.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Try this. Passenger's side of the dash, underneath the curved cover above the airbag. The cover pops out with a little screwdriver or something similar. There's two relays under that. Looking at the relay box with the locking tab facing upward, the left relay is the blower relay, the right is the flasher relay.
DATBROWN312
I removed the cover over the air bag and found a box with some relays (see photo). There were 4 locations and only 3 relays. The flasher relay I purchased from my auto parts store has a square cross section, while these have a rectangular cross section. I had the parts store look up the part number again and everything checks out. Will venture to the local Ford dealer in the morning and will purchase from them if the part looks different. If not, I will be back in touch to try to find out where it goes.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/471951_IMG00064_1.jpg

+1
JOEDESIATO
  • 1999 FORD F-150
Electrical problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 163000 miles

Had intermittent problems with both left and right turn signals. Changed multi function switch and then changed flasher relay. Bought 2nd new flasher relay and put that in thinking the flasher must be the problem. No blown fuses. Bulbs work for hazard circuit. I get one or two clicks at best and then nothing. Possible open circuit? But the socket connections and wires in the flasher circuit do not appear to be corroding. My owners manual lists no other flasher relay for signal lights in the power distribution box. Haynes manual exterior lighting diagram shows a blower/flasher relay block, but my flasher plugs into a block with the hazard relay just to the right of the steering column. Help
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2020 AT 11:23 AM (Merged)
RACEFAN966
I show a blower flasher relay block under the hood in the relay center. But you say that you have flashers in the fuse block. Have you checked the brake lights do they work as they are tied together? Here are the blinker wiring diagrams and fuse panel locations and identifications.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
PYROSEEKER1
I had almost the same problem on my 1998 f150 right turn signal stoped working. Instead of teling you a long story about lots of time spnt this is what I found to be my problem. The tilt steering had broken one of the wires a short way back from the multifunction switch. Found out later this is one of the common problems.
+7
JOEDESIATO
Brake lights work fine. Truck manufactured in march 1999. Flasher relay sits next to hazard relay to the right of the steering column, by themselves, not in the "fuse block" (I can feel each one click as I engage the turn signal or hazard. Is there another relay I'm missing. Taking the entire center dash off is a pain but I'll have to do it. Haynes manual lists the blower/flasher relay on elec. Diagram and says it's located behind center dash but doesn't show picture. (This interested me since my blower fan just quit amidst this turn signal nightmare.) All I know now is when I try to follow the wires out of the flasher relay they go toward the center dash as they disappear from my sight with my head wedged next to the gas pedal. Am I gonna find another relay or link in the turn signal circuit if I dismantle the dashboard?
-1
JOEDESIATO
Thanks for writing. This was the first thing a mechanic buddy of mine suggested when I told him the problem. Did you "see" signs of the wire break(insulation cracked, black stuff from arcing, exposed wire, etc.) My diagnostic equipment consists of a test light, a voltmeter, and two marbles rollin around in my head. I'm guessing if I can't see the short, I'll have to wiggle jiggle or use needlenose pliers to push the wire back up into those gray sockets that plug into the multifunction switch.
PYROSEEKER1
I have a 1998 and that is correct the is a flasher in the center of the dash its kind of hard to get to and has a black cover over it and another type of relay also replaced this flasher think it was abouth 12-15 dollars. It was very hard to get to mine is almost in line with the steering.
-1
PYROSEEKER1
When you unplug the harness from the multifunction switch look at the connection point on the switch mine was broken off in the switch and I was able to remove the one wire connector and solder it back. I also took a meter and checked the switch the haynes manual has all the volts each should have.
-1
PYROSEEKER1
Hey joe dont get lost in some of my key strokes more often my head gets ahead of my excellent typing skills. However the problem you are having drove me crazy for over a year. I just happened upon your topic looking on here for info for a easy fix for air pocket in my cooling system.
JOEDESIATO
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the flasher/hazard is located in a difficult spot. Center dash seems a little vague, though(thanks, Mr. Haynes) Unfortunately, though, your problem was not the same as mine. Both my left and right flashers do the same thing. Nothing. They both work intermittently. One day sitting in the truck with the ignition on and the signal switch engaged I got nothing for a half hour, then out of the blue, the flasher operated properly for 5 clicks without me touching anything, then stopped again. I bought another flasher and got the same intermittent activity with left and right signals. Sounds like an open circuit/ground short. Right! At least you didn't start throwing parts at the problem like I did. Mulitfunction switch and 2 relays was over 100 bucks. Appreciate your help.
-1
RACEFAN966
So are you turn and flashers working correctly now?
JOEDESIATO
No, but I've pinpoint the problem area. I started to pull, probe and tug the 4 wires coming out of the relay socket and got the flasher to work momentarily. Now all that's left to do is take the steering column dash off so I can remove the flasher/hazard relay bracket. Then maybe I can pinpoint the exact loose wire and clean up that connection. Ford does not make it easy to access this. I wonder why?
RACEFAN966
No they don't. I do figure that if the engineers had to work on what they put together it would be. Let me know how it is going and if you need any help just let me know.

Sponsored links